'96 Motorguide THREE ....weird issue....HELP!

NCSignguy

Recruit
Hi folks.....
Just bought a nice little bass boat and took it down to the lake for a shakedown. Everything worked great, but noticed that the trolling motor runs in reverse! I cannot, for the life of me find a switch or any way of taking it OUT of reverse........ the prop spins backwards. Wiring looks fine, the motor is solid and strong otherwise. It's a Motorguide THREE, 24 lb., I believe. Any insight appreciated and thanks!

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: '96 Motorguide THREE ....weird issue....HELP!

Wow, your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Since I can't locate anything on a MG trolling motor with that name, I'm going to have to take wild guesses. I bought a new trolling motor about that time, and it was called the motorguide stealth 24lb thrust. That being said,

Does it plug into a plug in the boat or directly to the battery? If it plugs into a plug on the boat then I suspect the wiring to the plug is backwards. That would be the only thing that would make sense to me. Does it have a foot control or is it a control on the top of the motor? If it's a foot control, wires have been crossed inside the foot.

I would look those two places first.

I know it sounds stupid, but could the propeller be on backwards?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

reverse the cables, it runs on direct current. with the cables swapped the motor will run either way.

NCSignguy

Recruit

It's a foot controlled unit, and plugs into a 'receptacle' on the front of the boat. I will absolutely take a look at the wiring from the plug back to the battery.....
I didn't know the prop could even be installed backwards.... seemed like a one way road, but I will take a look there, too.
Thanks to all!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

It's a foot controlled unit, and plugs into a 'receptacle' on the front of the boat. I will absolutely take a look at the wiring from the plug back to the battery.....
I didn't know the prop could even be installed backwards.... seemed like a one way road, but I will take a look there, too.
Thanks to all!

I don't see how the prop could be installed backwards as for there is supposed to be a slot in the back of it where it seats on a pin/shaft. It's either in the wiring or something got crossed up in the foot control. I have 2 motorguide III units a, I've been fortunate enought not to have a problem out of eith one of them.

KLINDWW

Seaman

It is positively a positive, negative issue. Just a small attempt at humor. The leads have to be swapped somewhere, either on the boat or the foot control.

NCSignguy

Recruit

Yup - that was the culprit.....backwards at the battery end.... Thanks, guys!