10 hp Evinrude Pulls to the right

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 1962 10 hp Evinrude Sportwin (model # 10024) and when I bring it up to full throttle, it always pulls to the right. At lower non-planing speed, it does not pull at all, but at high speed, it always pulls to the right. If I let go of the handle for even a few seconds, the boat will start turning pretty sharp to the right.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I know there is an autopilot screw on the front of the motor that you can tighten to tighten up the stearing. That screw is pretty tight.

The motor seems to be sitting pretty square on the back of my 14ft jon boat.

Any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 10 hp Evinrude Pulls to the right

You state "I know there is an autopilot screw on the front of the motor that you can tighten to tighten up the steering. That screw is pretty tight."

That's the answer.... tighten up that friction brake. You may need to loosen the screw somewhat with a hand held propane torch and a large screwdriver first. It doesn't get moved very often and has a tendency to freeze up somewhat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, that is what the co-pilot screw is for. If it is not snugging up the steering when screwed in as far as it will go, the rubber spacer in the steering swivel bracket may be mushed out and needs to be replaced. There is a way to cheat though. Just find a similar screw and cut it off so it is about 1/8" longer. Not the "right" way, but what the hey...

If your boat is squirrely, consider a kill switch. It may save your life. http://www.iboats.com/Emergency_Boa...z.54343--**********.451927989--view_id.216623

Torque steer is normal. You should see how hard it pulls on some large motors.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a lot for that info. I'll check that autopilot screw like you said.

Regarding the kill switch. I've been thinking about getting a kill switch on that motor. Which kill switch will work on this old magneto ignition system?

My motor already has a kill button on it. Will this kill switch wire right into the kill button?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Any of the universal kill switches should work. They are wired to the same two wires that now go to the kill button. Yes you can have both. The kill switch is held in the "run" position till you yank the lanyard off, then it stops the motor the same way as pushing the button would.

EDIT: It isn't a bad idea to have an extra lanyard in the boat. When you are tosed out, the lanyard goes with you. The extra one lets your buddy restart the motor and come back to get you. But if nobody is left behind in the boat, well....swim. You WERE wearing your life jacket, right?

Rick.

Captain

I've bought a couple kill switches made by Sea-Dog. Lots of hits by marine on-line shops and it appears Toys R Us carries them in the U.S. as well. They have two sets of contacts N/O and N/C. They fit fight in the same hole as the factory shut off button and in both cases I just removed the factory switch all together.

I also have to say I can't imagine going down the lake at WOT and not wanting to have my hand on the tiller. Seems a little risky to me. Too many things can happen too fast to have my hand anywhere else. Best of luck. Rick.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've bought a couple kill switches made by Sea-Dog. Lots of hits by marine on-line shops and it appears Toys R Us carries them in the U.S. as well. They have two sets of contacts N/O and N/C. They fit fight in the same hole as the factory shut off button and in both cases I just removed the factory switch all together.

I also have to say I can't imagine going down the lake at WOT and not wanting to have my hand on the tiller. Seems a little risky to me. Too many things can happen too fast to have my hand anywhere else. Best of luck. Rick.

What are N/O and N/C contacts?

By the way, I'm not talking about wanting to ride down the river at WOT without my hand on the tiller. I'm talking about being able to momentarily let go of the tiller without the boat turning to the right and running me into the shore. It seems like a pretty big hassle to have to bring the motor down to idle in order to do something that would take 2 seconds like grab a paper that looks like it may blow overboard or grab a drink that is just out of reach with your hand on the tiller.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thanks a lot for that info. I'll check that autopilot screw like you said.

Regarding the kill switch. I've been thinking about getting a kill switch on that motor. Which kill switch will work on this old magneto ignition system?

My motor already has a kill button on it. Will this kill switch wire right into the kill button?

I believe the auto pilot screw has a nylon shoe on the end it could be missing or worn out.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any advantage to having it normally open or normally closed?

Rick.

Captain

If you already know what replaces your off switch then no. Having both insures one or the other sets will work for any replacement. You need to know which set to use when you go to do the hookup. Mine used normally open. A multimeter will help determine which set to use. Rick.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, I'm taking a wild guess here but... Should I use my multimeter to test for resistance and set it to 20K olms and put each needle on each wire on the kill switch. Then, if the tester says 1.00 then the circuit is open and if it says 0.00, then the circuit is closed?

jasper60103

Commander

So, I'm taking a wild guess here but... Should I use my multimeter to test for resistance and set it to 20K olms and put each needle on each wire on the kill switch. Then, if the tester says 1.00 then the circuit is open and if it says 0.00, then the circuit is closed?

I assume you have an analog multimeter?, i.e. it has a needle.
The 20k ohm scale should be fine for
this simple measurement.
Yes, If the reading is 0.00 (or close to zero), then the circuit is closed.
But if the circuit is open, then the needle should swing to the opposite
side of the scale. If you have a digital meter, then it might display
a large number or O.L. for overload.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume you have an analog multimeter?, i.e. it has a needle.
The 20k ohm scale should be fine for
this simple measurement.
Yes, If the reading is 0.00 (or close to zero), then the circuit is closed.
But if the circuit is open, then the needle should swing to the opposite
side of the scale. If you have a digital meter, then it might display
a large number or O.L. for overload.

I have a digital meter, but I just got it for Christmas, so I haven't completely learned how to use it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Touch your two multimeter leads together. Should read 0 ohms resistance. That is a closed circuit.

Now separate the two leads. Should read infinity which may be indicated as something like OL. That is an open circuit.

As applied to your small outboard and kill switch, with the lanyard connected there should be an open circuit. Yank the lanyard off and there should be a closed circuit.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm running a 20 horsepower Mercury on my boat now, and I'm having the exact same problem with the other motor pulling to the right. Is there a similar "auto pilot screw" on this motor as was on my Evinrude?