Need help choosing the right Smart Tabs??

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey fellows,
Hopeing you can help with my confusion. I have read many post on the Smart Tabs and their all positive. I've decided I want to put some on my boat. I have a Larson Senza 206 with a 5.0Gl V8 305 220 hp. I went to the Nauticus website: http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm
and looked at the chart and it states that I should be buying the SX9510-80 but I have read on many of the post that they were choosing the SX9510-60 because the 80's were too much of a lift on boats similar in my size and caused the bow to dive and the stern to high as when turning it felt like you were sliding out of control. My boat is 20.6" and weighs in at appox.3100lbs. I just want to make shure I am purchasing the right set-up. I know that you can adjust the settings on the tabs but I just want to make shure about which ones to put on. I would appreciate any help from you fellows out their.

Thank you,
AngelC:confused:

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need help choosing the right Smart Tabs??

with a boat that size and weight why not just install hydraulic trim tabs you will find you have much more control with them and can choose when not to use them as well, (following seas)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

and about $400 more. i understand your concern, i suggest you call Nauticus, and discuss your particular boat with them. there goal is to get you set up properly, and guarantee it. let them know you are and iboats member.
Toll Free: 800-233-0194

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tashasdaddy,
Thanks I will call today, hopefully they can help.

AngelC

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spoke to John at Nauticus today and he recommended the SX9510-80. He also asked me if my boat had a hydrofoil?? What exactly is that?? He said for me to run the boat alone with one other person at WOT to get a baseline and then go ahead and ad the tabs. Also as far as drilling the holes, How far would I need to drill? John also mentioned to ad marine sealant to the holes. I want to make sure I don't drill to far. I've read that when you drill in to the gel coat that you should start in reverse; is this true? Can anyone please let me know how I would go about the drilling part of this install. I know the tabs come with instructions but I rather here it from someone who has already completed this install. He mentioned that the screws were 3/4" on an inch long.

Angel

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

OK, from the start...I think you made a good choice with the 80's. Iused the 60's on a lighter 18' boat and felt they were at the limit on it. A hydrofoil is a wing type device added to the cavitation plate of an outboard to attempt to accomplish what the smart tabs will do. If your motor has them then remove them. You will get stainless steel hardware with the kit. You will use a bit size that they recommend. I always chamfer the gelcoat with a bit several sizes larger, but not too large. Use easy pressure, they tend to want to grab if pushed too hard. The instructions will recommend 3m 4200 or 5200 sealant. (Sold at Wal Mart, at least down here). You may want to use tape on your drill bit as a depth guide. No use going in deeper than you have to. The last install the screws were only 3/4". Mark your bit accordingly.
Good luck. I have installed these on two boats already and have had great luck with them and was really surprised at the difference in operation!! :)

1985 Celebrity 21 ft with a 350. Heavy boat for it's length. I installed the 80s and they are fabulous for me. Installation is easy, directions are thorough and you can always call them for help. I use the 4200 sealant. Don't like drilling holes in the transom either. To paraphrase the old rule of "measure twice drill once"
Good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use a smaller bit than the screw, for the first drilling. then use a little larger bit, to just go thru the gel coat. this stops the screw for popping the gelcoat, and leaves plenty of wood for the screws to bite.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks fellows, I really appreciate your help!!

Angel:D