1966 johnson fd-20 20 h.p. propulshon problem, please help!!!

scottb925

Cadet
I have this johnson 20 hp fd-20 that I got about 2 weekks ago. The third time we had it out we were going fast and strong for about 15 miniutes and all of a sudden it felt like it poped out of gear and would only go at low speeds. Give it throttle and nothing but verry little throttle and we would go slow. Same happens in reverse. I have heard that the prop has a rubber piece in it that causes this problem? I also was told to empty the gear fluid and check for metal shavings and their was none. Another problem I am having is finding parts, and recomendations?

So low speeds it goes but anything past a quarter throttle and nothing!! Please help!

Its a 1966 johnson fd-20 20 h.p.

Thanks for your time, scott

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1966 johnson fd-20 20 h.p. propulshon problem, please help!!!

welcome to iboats!

here is a pic of what you need to do
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17835&d=1221224083

you can mark it as shown and take it for a drive and see if the marks are still aligned or you can (with the motor not running) put it in gear and use a 2x4 or something between the blades and lower unit to stop the prop from turning and put a socket/wrench on the flywheel nut to turn it . if it doesnt stay lined up your hub is spun..........which is cheaper to fix than to replace the whole prop.

this is a great site for parts.........if you cant find what you are looking for someone can point you in the right direction-----sorry i dont remember where to get vintage parts, i saw a link on one of these threads once though so i know its out there just dont know where..sorry.

merry christmas!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it very much sounds like you sheared a drive pin that holds the prop. i give that 99% rather than a spun prop.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it very much sounds like you sheared a drive pin that holds the prop. i give that 99% rather than a spun prop.

tashasdaddy, i didnt even think about the shear pins.......i have a '64 18hp evin with a pin..............when was the crossover??

scottb925

Cadet

Shear pins? Wear abouts do I find those?

Thanks for everyone's quick reply!

Happy hollidays!!

scottb925

Cadet

Loll, I guess I can't read..... a drive pin.. Wear is that?

jafacman

Cadet

By the way I bought a 3/16th round stock about 36 inches longfrom ACE Hardware and cut it to fit with bolt cutters ... I ended up with around 25 spares ;) But I think you spun the prop and you can get it fixed for $20 here http://www.soderbloom.com/proprepair.html

17olsen35

Recruit

I have a similar problem. with the same engine. at full throttle mine jumps out of gear and into neutral. at 1/2 throttle it runs great all day. someone told me to adjust the screw on the lower leg but they never said how.
help please
olsen.erik1@gmail.com
thanks in advance

wvyen

Seaman Apprentice

I maybe having a similar problem. When I shift to forward I get nothing, I can shift to reverse and neutral fine, but can't get any forward momentum. Sheer pin and prop are confirmed good.

wvyen

Seaman Apprentice

I realize my earlier post probably appears to be a hijacking attempt, so please no one respond to me.... I have however narrowed down my prpoblem and it appears to be a clutch dog, forward gear issue. Scott, I don't know if this relates to your problem, but it's worth investigating, the issues sound similar...