Nissan 40hp won't stop

I have a 40 hp Nissan ('00 or'01). When I turn the key off the motor won't stop. I check all of the wiring and connections and everthing is good to the CDI. With the key off the there is continuity between the black and brown wires. Also continuity with the emergency lanyard pulled. It appears this functionality if the CDI is shot.

Looking for an alternative way to stop the engine electrically. Thinking about setting it up so the spark plug leads get grounded when the key is shut off. Don't want to cause other damage, so looking for advice / input.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan 40hp won't stop

And what happens when you push in on the kill switch or pull the lanyard off of the kill switch?

Motor still runs with the kill switch in or out. Same thing for the key on or off. All functionality correct up to the CDI.

pvanv

Admiral

If you have verified that all the wiring and switches are good, that seems to point to the CDI. Very unusual failure.

Some ancient US-built premix 2-strokes were setup to use the choke as a "kill switch". That's because the straight magneto-points-condenser setup would run "forever" unless the low volt side of the coil was grounded, and these motors did not have that provision. Works at idle, and not too much fouling, though an immediate restart required opening the throttle to get enough air for a decent mix. I think this concept was dropped in the late 50's or early 60's.

I have a really old 2-stroke without any kill switch, and I just setup the idle stop so low that the motor can't stay running with the carb closed. That works too.

ventureman

Cadet

My motor has a stop/kill button next/close to the manual choke. If yours is equipped with one, try that.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"Very unusual failure"

I had an Evinrude 115 have the CD fail once and do that....Only time I have ever heard of that kind of failure. It's so rare that I suspect that the wiring harness is fubar rather than the CD causing the problem. I would check the harness before going any further.