Marine Grade Plywood "LOOK"

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
$65 plus Shipping /////NO TAX

I found 7 ply Marine Grade Plywood with No Voids on one side:

4x8 3/4 thick

WWW.PONTOONSTUFF.COM

Marine Plywood
FREE SHIPPING DOES NOT APPLY. CONTACT US FOR A FREIGHT QUOTE ON MARINE PLYWOOD.

Be sure to view the Pontoon Boat Kits - Redeck category to see our complete pontoon boat redeck kits.
Ships in : Ships Within 48hrs
Item #: TP34CCX48PTS1S40
Dimension: CONTACT FOR FREIGHT QUOTE.
Weight: 65 lbs (29.48 kg)
Spec Sheet :
Quantity:
Price: US $65.00
Shipping: Ground ( $0.00 )

ADDITIONAL FREIGHT CHARGES APPLY - DOES NOT SHIP FOR FREE. CONTACT US FOR FREIGHT QUOTE.

4' x 8' 3/4" - 7 ply Marine Grade Plywood.

CCA treated and kiln dried marine plywood for marine or exterior use. Lifetime warranty against rotting and warping. Top sheet has been sanded and all voids filled.

This is the same boat decking used by new pontoon boat builders. CCA treated marine plywood is the only type of lumber which the EPA still allows to be treated with arsenic (a superior preservative), new laws require standard plywood to be treated in a manner that will destroy marine carpeting and hardware (the use of a copper compound rather than arsenic).

Please note that there are dozens of types of marine plywood, if you are rebuilding a pontoon boat and need 3/4" decking this is the proper marine plywood to use.

We understand the difficulties in finding a source for treated marine plywood with these new EPA rules. We always have it in stock but it must be shipped via semi or picked up. Please contact us for a freight quote.

Shopper Reviews
No Reviews Available -

Marine Carpet | Site Map | Google Site Map | Links | Resources | Submit Your Site | ? 2004 pontoon stuff

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marine Grade Plywood "LOOK"

you get what you pay for....

marine has little or no voids.....not just on one side

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

$65 plus Shipping /////NO TAX

4x8 3/4 thick

WWW.PONTOONSTUFF.COM

This is the same boat decking used by new pontoon boat builders. CCA treated marine plywood is the only type of lumber which the EPA still allows to be treated with arsenic (a superior preservative), new laws require standard plywood to be treated in a manner that will destroy marine carpeting and hardware (the use of a copper compound rather than arsenic).

The last time I checked CCA treatment is Chromium Copper Arsenic.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

CCA was banned wasn't it?

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I learned today that Gander Mountain sells this same grade without CCA. It cost $69 plus tax but I won't have to pay for shipping. There's 2 stores 80 miles away, plus they have the seats I want to install at a cheaper price too!

Also I learned today that overtons.com is a Gander Mountain Company. They have some deals too.

Last edited:

North Beach

Commander

Tim/Tammy
I have a couple of good friends who work at the GM in Winchester(just up the street) and just got off the phone with the manager. He says they do not sell marine grade or any other type of plywood.

Can you please tell me where the store is that you found this stuff?

Thanks in advance.

erikgreen

Captain

I learned today that Gander Mountain sells this same grade without CCA. It cost $69 plus tax but I won't have to pay for shipping. There's 2 stores 80 miles away, plus they have the seats I want to install at a cheaper price too!

Also I learned today that overtons.com is a Gander Mountain Company. They have some deals too.

Good to know... I'm gonna need about 10 sheets soon.

If you can use thinner stuff, I've found baltic birch underlayment for $27 a sheet in 1/4" thickness. No voids, 7 ply, one side sanded, waterproof glue. Not as good as marine ply, but much cheaper if you need a good core material. At Menards, of all places.

Erik

Shizzy

Ensign

shipping on a 3/4" sheet of plywood is going to cost a few bucks. Keep in mind it wont be shipping UPS.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

CCA was banned wasn't it?

It was banned because of the Arsenic. CCA= Chromated Copper Arsenate

Newer treatment that /is/ legal has various chemical compositions, but the common one, in this area anyway, is ACQ: Acqeous Copper Quinine.

CCA was apparently still available in large timbers for dock pilings and certain other applications, but I have no information on this- my info comes from the home building materials realm. Because ACQ is very corrosive, however, it would make sense there is an allowance for CCA in marine applications.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, good info never thought about it just figured with all the hype about how bad it was that it was straight up out of production a while ago.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Yep, CCA is definitely on the banned list for almost every common use. It can be used provided there is no chance of contaminating any other area and human contact is not possible. ACQ has restrictions also but who cares? Niether of them prevent rot, they only kill bugs.

Marine ply has no appreciable voids which makes it stronger. It is no more resistant to dry rot than exterior fir ply. Marine ply is laminated with water resistant glue that is not rated for submersion (so is Exterior ply).

The only time you need to use Marine grade ply is when you need the extra strength. The transom is a good candidate but it must still be held up above the normal bilge water line or it will wick up moisture and dry rot will occur.

So, what's the best... Super Ply (Roseberg Lumber). You'll need to special order it, it's expensive. There are no voids so it's strong and it's laminated with waterproof resin glue so it will not delaminate if it is submerged. You still need to seal it with a UV protectant (most varnishes work).

BillP

Captain

Marine or not makes no difference in suface blems. The only difference is what grades they are. Perfect surfaces are AA. Less perfect go down from there...AB, AC, BC, etc. Few sell AA or AB because the price is so high. Exterior can be had in the same grades for way less $. Even with AA or AB exterior the voids are so small and few they aren't a structual factor except in the lightest, thinnest construction. 3/4" pontoon boat decks don't need anything special.

CCA was outlawed only for residential use. It's still legal for commercial use, docks, etc. CCA isn't a problem for a toon deck if you isolate the wood from the alum beams. My 1996 toon came with a 3/4" cca ply deck and it still looks new. It's not even painted or coated on the underside but it has a rubber strip between the ply and al beams...13yrs. Which is longer than most non treated decks last without a patch of rot no matter how well you try to seal them.

bp

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found it on Gander Mountain website. I called Richmond and they said they sometimes have it or they can order it in. $69.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE::::::

I just got off the phone with a rep. from the Gander Mountain web site.

He told me it is a order item. Also, if the store was to order it,,,it would be at a higher price due to shipping.

He is going to contact me back on Monday,,,,,,,,to let me know what the shipping is going to cost. I also, ask him where the warehouse was to see if I could go there and pick it up myself. He is getting me that info as well on Monday.

erikgreen

Captain

Cool, please let us know the final cost.

Erik

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He just called me today 1/2/2009

$94.00 a sheet shipping included. To High for me!

F14CRAZY

Ensign

My local Lowes ordered in 1/2'' marine plywood for me at about $55/each

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

My local Lowes ordered in 1/2'' marine plywood for me at about $55/each

Yep any of the big box stores can get it for you. It'll come in on there next plywood order or PT order.

However, If you're gonna glass it it's a waste of money. (not that good 5 or 7 ply is cheap but it actually takes the resin better than "marine grade" and it dry enough to use right away.

Most all the marine grade ply is still "wet" when you get it and by the time it dries it will assume some odd shapes unless you stack it and weigh it down properly.

I built a 16ft skiff over 15years ago using cabinet grade plywood (water proof glue), soaked it in resin and wrapped it with one sheet of cloth. It's never leaked a drop and never suffered any deterioration.

I've also helped several guys rebuild tansoms with laminated up plywood, held together with expoxy and again just one sheet of cloth.

The "trick" with most of this stuff is treating any holes you drill in it before you put screws or bolts through them. Do that and it'll likely out live you.