How to flip a boat????

pteal28377

Cadet
I am restoring an older boat early 60's I think seeing the motor on it is a 1960 johnson 75. Made by Fabuglas and think it is an old fury model based on pics I have seen. Anyhow I have removed the motor, hardware, glass and all other pieces from boat. I am really not to sure how to flip a 900lb boat upside down to rework the hull with out damage! And based on body work I have done in the past when I sand old paint off should I use a good sealing primer?Is this the same with a boat? And how do I know if gel coat needs to be redone? What type of paint and should I use a clear coat? This is alot of questions I hope someone can help. I am really charged up working on this old girl.

This is my new winter project and looks to be tons of fun.

D

DJ

Re: How to flip a boat????

1. If the boat is stripped, it's probably not as heavy as you think it is. There are a couple ways to do it.

a. A lot of muscle.

b. Launch it on the driveway (I prefer lawn), flip then put back on the trailer modified to support the deck.

2. Re-doing gel coat is NOT easy. It's an art, IMHO.

3. Most folks paint fiberglass boats. I use one part epoxies from Pettit or Interlux. Yes, there is a primer that goes with them.

4. You can get excellent results using the "roll/tip" method. That method is described on both the Interlux and Pettit websites.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

flipping the hull.....post #697 page 28 thru post #701 page 29
flipping the hull ........post # 1582 pg 64 thru post #1589 pg 64

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

re gellcoating is a pita

if your current gellcoat is falling off.....it should be re done....outside of that.....paint.....just repair all the crazing cracks first.

Dunaruna

Admiral

If you have a carport or garage with substantial roof beams you can use slings and racket straps. Once the boat is almost vertical, it will easily tip. Just make sure you have adequate straps to stop it from over tipping. Plenty of tires and blankets help.

Wehaveliftoff.jpg

Itseemedlikeagoodideaatthetime.jpg

Readyforpaintstripper.jpg

pteal28377

Cadet

I love the car port idea. I have plenty of carports at my shop this will easier that I thought.

Also going to research this rolling paint idea. Seems this is a tried and true method. Gel coat isnt falling apart but many cracks ( sure it is paint though). I have plans the sand and this should remove all the cracks. I am really stoked about this project cant wait to see this finished project. thanks for your help and info. great site tons of infromation!!

THANKS TO ALL!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Just think it through carefully and plan your strategy, it can go pear shaped very easily.

If you are not sure if it is paint or gelcoat, use a bit of paint stripper on a rag in a non-conspicuous area (transom, where the motor will cover). I usually do it in the area immediately around one of the motor bolt holes. After a few hours, if it is blistering, it's paint. If it doesn't blister, it's gelcoat. You don't need much stripper, just a dab on a rag.

Recruit

Seaman Apprentice

i dont know if what i did will work since mine was aluminum but i set three tires behind the trailer and set the back half of the boat on them as i got the whole boat on the ground i kept setting more tires under it. with 6 tires i rolled the boat with the tires protecting it. i could have used less but i didnt want to risk damaging my boat