1988 Mercury 50hp

taylor555

Recruit
Hi Just Wondering If Anyone Can Give Some Tips On What Is Wrong With My Outboard Motor.what My Problem Is When Im Out On The Water The Motor Seems To Run Wel For While Then It Will Start To Serge Until I Have No Power .it Feels Like It Is Running Out Of Fuel.i Have Rebuilt The Carbies And Fuel Pump,put A New Fuel Filter And Water Seperator And Replaced The Primer Bulb.any Ideas Would Be Most Appreciated.thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1988 Mercury 50hp

That sounds like a fuel supply problem, might be the fuel line, primer bulb or a in tank filter/anti syphon check valve.

mthieme

Captain

....or a restriction.
Is the tank properly vented?
Are the filter(s) clean?
When the problem occurs, pump the primer bulb. The motor should pick back up verifying a fuel issue.

taylor555

Recruit

thanks for the replies.i have recently changed the water seperator filter and the fuel filter .yes when it occurs i have pumped the bulb and picks up again for a while then the bulb goes soft again.i checked my fuel tank out last night and all there is , is a short hose wiht a mesh on the bottom which all seems clear.i took it out yesterday and it ran well on the way out[about 1hour trip ]stoped for 3hours then on the way in started to play up.