drain water in block

When I pull my boat out of the water will the water drain from the block and any other parts enough to keep from damaging it in a freeze. The motor is a 1970 165 hp. 250 cu. in. I live on the coast in california so I use the boat year round.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: drain water in block

Nope....

The Outdrive will self-drain if in the Down position...
The Motor,+ Manifold must be manually Drained by removing the Drain Plugs....
I'm thinking you have 1 in the Block, 1 in the Manifold,+ 1 in the Riser...

ziggy

Admiral

no, it will not self drain. if you don't drain it. you'll be paying next spring....

three places to drain from
port side, towards the back, right above the oil pan on the block. both L6's i've had have a t-handle petcock. above the block drain. on the bottom of the manifold is a drain plug. after ya remove the plug, ream out the hole with a paper clip or the likes to be sure it ain't plugged up and you get it to fully drain. on the back of the riser is a drain plug also. port side. down side of the riser... ream it out too. ream out the block one too if you can. after reading 'the book' many times i've discovered that yer supposed to remove the petcock for final draining to be able to ream it out also...

you'll find your facts available in this thread...http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571
you'll want #1.... it has pictures in it.... ;)

ziggy

Admiral

forgot, i also pull the large water hose at the bottom to be sure thats dry too. just to be sure......

cantaris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

forgot, i also pull the large water hose at the bottom to be sure thats dry too. just to be sure......

Sorry to hijack. I am trying to drain my L6 . opened the pepcock above the oil pan. pulled the plug from manifold and reamed with wire. missed the one on the riser. And which large water hose on the bottom?

ziggy

Admiral

from the water distribution block where the tstat resides at to the water circulation pump... i remove it at the water circulation pump... i don't get anything out of it usually. it helps me confirm that i'm drained...
also, put bow high when draining...

i'm also assuming raw water cooled w/o power steering.. there's more to do if you have power steering or fresh water cooled.......

I am going to put valves on the drains with out them so I can drain them with out tools because it has to happen often

Bondo

Staff member

I am going to put valves on the drains with out them so I can drain them with out tools because it has to happen often

Ayuh,....

Generally speaking,...
That's a Really Bad Idea...

You've got to be able to poke them out with a piece of wire or something...
Otherwise, Crud will block them up,+ your motor will Freeze..

ziggy

Admiral

You've got to be able to poke them out with a piece of wire or something...
i find this to be true. especially for the manifold. don't know how many times i drained this fall and later went boating. but ea. time. the manifold didn't run at all after i removed the plug. it required probing to dislodge rust partials that were blocking the opening.
while i've not probed my block, the one with the t-handle petcock. i've been concerned about not being able to as ya can't probe through the petcock. after reading the service manual for the umteenth time. it finally stuck. a statement made about removing the petcock so ya can probe the block too. i even had ask this question a while back about not being able to probe the block. the answer was in the book. that being said. i didn't probe my block this last fall. hope i'm ok. though i do know that i usually get three not quite full coffee cans of water out of the block. this so far is how i've judged that the block is empty... i don't like this way... next season. assuming i'm not cracked. i think i'll make the effort to get the petcock free of it's stand up pipe so i can probe it and be sure i'm hip... guessing the water is all gone worries me...