1989 johnson 200 GT vro pump question

ssage

Recruit
I have a 1989 Johnson 200 GT, the vro pump has gone out:(, the oil portion had already been blocked and i was just using the fuel part. My question is, why can't I just use an inline electric fuel pump that puts out the same fuel pressure as the original, very expensive fuel pump? I have been told that you can as long as the electric fuel pump puts out the same amount of pressure, which is 5 to 7.5 psi recommended. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 johnson 200 GT vro pump question

You can actually just mix the oil in with the gas, and disconnect the wires at your key switch for the oil sending unit. I believe they are brown, but I'd have to look at the book. You need to disconnect them so you don't hear the warning buzzer.

Now if the whole pump has went out, you will most likely need a new one, or you can just rig up an electric pump and mix the oil.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just reread you post, and I don't see why you can't use a pump that uses the same amount of fuel pressure. Just look at the cost difference. A new VRO is around 300 bucks, and depending on the fuel pump you have to put on, amount of time, and hassle mixing the oil yourself.

ssage

Recruit

Thanks for a quick reply. I had asked a couple of engine techs and some shade tree mechanics, all but one said that an inline electric pump could be used. The one that said it shouldn't be done is in the boat engine repair business and I think looking to sell me a $300+ new pump. Since the oil pump portion had already been done away with and I am already mixing in the tank, I didn't see a problem. I have looked at a bunch of threads here and like what I saw. So, I figured I would see what some of the guys here had to say about this situation.
Thanks again. :D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You'll want to get better info on the required pressures. Make sure you tie it in to the ignition somehow so it shuts off if the motor dies with the key on. You'll also need a flow-thru type pump so you can still prime it.

ssage

Recruit

The pump that I have is a self priming pump. I understand what you mean, though. If you pump the bulb up then turn the key on to activate the pump, it should go ahead and fill the carbs and crank.