Routing cables and wires under gunnel ???

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm trying to figure out the best way to route the steering / shift cables and wiring under the gunnel of my 01 Crestliner.

dscf2483.jpg

dscf2488.jpg

The original wiring harness was run through the black cable clamps on the bottom side of the gunnel as seen in the top pic. But I have no idea how they origionally ran the steering and shift cables, they were missing when I got the boat, she was kind of torn up...:D

9c48_1.jpg

I'm thinking of riveting 1 1/2" SS cushioned cable clamps every 6-8" inside the gunnel to support all of the cables / wires and keep them out of sight.

steel_clamps.jpg

Sound like a good idea?
Sturdy enough?
What size rivets, 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"?
Any other ideas?

(I don't want to seal off the gunnel to form a channel/tube, need access to mount rod holder bases and cleats)

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Routing cables and wires under gunnel ???

yep.....thats where the shift cables go

why not use screws instead of rivets.....that way they are easily removed....and you have the control to add more wires later if need be.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I used the nylon or PVC plumbing pipe hangers for 1/2 copper pipe. Fits the steering cable perfect. The hangers for 3/4" are great for stringing wires through.

1cfb4712-2a40-4e75-abc7-81758322ab96_300.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral

I was tossing around the idea of screwing the clamps onto the gunnel's bottom lip,,, but I think it will cause a hazard with all the metal clamps protruding below the gunnel, sharp metal waiting for some one to grab it before falling overboard :eek: I'm going to try to mount the cable clamps inside the gunnel, backed with a rivet washer and riveted from the bottom lip, then all you will see or feel is the rivet heads, the entire cable clamp will be tucked up inside the gunnel. I could through bolt them like this,,, but it wold be a real PITA due to limited space,

You have me thinking oops!, maybe I should nut the cable clamps onto the hod holder base and cleat mounting screws,,, don't know about the 1 1/2' - 2' spacing though?

Those plumbing hangers are a good idea, looks like I need to go to the HW store and do some looking...