Starting 30hp on deep cycle?

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Ok. I know the "right" answer is to run a starting battery for the OB ab and a DC for the troller. However I'm trying to save some weight and space on the new (16' aluminum) rig and would like to run a single series 29 DC battery to do it all. I'm thinking that a tiny motorcycle battery will start a 25 2 stroke (been there, done that for years) and that the surge from a 30 hp 4 stroke starter can't be all that much more than an instant on for my 55# trolling motor sooo...

What I really want to know is will starting a 30 hp ( Tohatsu 4 stroke) OB on a DC battery cause any damage to the battery?

ooldschooll

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starting 30hp on deep cycle?

I dont see how it can, I used a dc all year in my runabout.

ooldschooll

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont see how it could hurt the battery. I do wonder I you use the troller lot and its hooked to the 30 ob.ei(both on one battery) if it might over work the charging system on the ob.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't know you could overwork a charging system?
FWIW, the 30 Tohatsu is rated @ 15A output which is probobly close the the draw the 55# bow mount will use at average settings for a rig this light.( I use my electrics to reposition and menuver/poke around, down wind/current, as I prospect structure/shore with my fly. There is little/no flat out running/trolling to put big drains on the battery. I don't really run the electric for more than a few min at a time and then usually only at 1/2 power. In this case, i'll be running a maximizer equiped motor as well so that should help at these settings. I.e. I don't expect to be drawing the battery ( especially a 29) down much unless I'm fishing remote ares for days at a time with no access to shore power. (Which happens occasionally)
Thanks for the input.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Check if you can charge battery without unplugging your trolling motor. Some, like my Motorguide Wireless, have to be unplugged or possible damage will occur.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I have used DC batteries in all my boats, never had a SC battery, never will. As long as you correctly maintain it, you will never have a problem.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks all, looks like it'sTHE way to go for me.
However, John S, you have brought up a very good point. If for some reason I have to isolate the DC battery to run the motor then the alternator is going to be NG. I would find it hard to beleive that this is the case but i will contact Minn Kota just to make sure. Wouldn't want to fry the maximizer or worse.....

John_S

Rear Admiral

Check, but it might be just a Motorguide Wireless thing, because there is no off switch. As soon as you plug it in, it beeps and starts looking for the RF signal. Even in the Wireless manual, it is mixed in with other "Don'ts" but when I was discussing mounting diagram with a MG tech, he made it a point to ask about onboard chargers, and specificly told me to make sure the Wireless was unplugged. I assume that would be the same thing as trying to charge the battery from the engine.

BTW, I liked your motorcycle battery idea, especially if you have a tohatsu that has a recoil and elec start.