470 doubts now

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
WOW, After reading these forums I'm starting to freak out a little. I've been in boating two seasons now and we are trying to find what we like, we started with a little 16 foot john boat then a try hull then a runabout v all with outboards, Middle of this summer we picked up a 86 Regal Sebring cuddy with the 170 mercruiser, the out drive went I replaced it. Changed all the oils and plug wires, solenoids, points, coil, and took it on a 400 mile round trip on the Mississippi and would swear by the performance of the engine. Now I'm doing all this reading on the 470 and its got me paranoid. Doing the trip we ran it minimum 6 hours straight a day and the oil, water gauges read even threw the trip, I would think that those would be indicators of a going engine. Any way what would some one suggest I replace this motor with? Its the 19 foot cuddy. If I could find a 305 how hard would it be to switch it out. I have on hand the outdrive for a 305 but not the gimbals. Hope to have allot of feedback here since this colume is what has made me paranoid. Its a great boat in great shape Its just the first IO I bought and new nothing about them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 470 doubts now

What can I say. People run impellers and bellows for 10 or 20 years and get away with it. People bought and loved Corvairs, and Yugo's and were quite happy with them.
You are lucky, congratulations.

D

DJ

If you take care of it, it will contunue to run. They were prone to failure with poor maintenance, which about eight out of ten boats have to deal with.

1. Fresh coolant in the heat exchanger.

2. Regular cooling system maintenance, impellers especially.

3. DON'T let it overheat.

As I recall, the 485 had a larger heat exchanger. That maybe something to think about but I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not worth much on the resale market--so run it. You obviously have enjoyed it, continue to do so. They offer a lot of power in a small lightweight package.

Issues yes but most can be avoided.

If you change to another powerplant, at minimum, you will be dealing with a drive gear ratio change and engine mounting concerns.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

OK, We don't pull skiers we just Cruise for the sights, pull up to a beach and party. Oh and some fishing. I do have another complete engine on a pallet. its just froze I've taken the carb, heat exchanger, manifolds off and will take the rest apart this weekend to get indoors.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I do have another complete engine on a pallet. its just froze I've taken the carb, heat exchanger, manifolds off and will take the rest apart this weekend to get indoors

Great, you have an old dead engine on a pallet, that you use for parts, but that doesn't sound like something one would do or post to describe how great a motor is/was.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

I wasn't describing how great a motor this was I am just trying to figure out if I should change power plants. LIKE I said this is my first IO and I'm trying to weigh my options before spring. If you just bought a boat and another identical engine could be picked up for 100 bucks would'nt you just buy it for parts??????? Just incase a starter or stator or something went out?

Last edited:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

'Ditto' on the above suggestion, to keep a keen eye on the temperature guage...learned this one the hard way!

And I agree with you...a complete engine, for parts, is a 'no-brainer' at $100.

I have the complete alternator setup...never used. I was keeping it for the inevitable moment that my stator, or rectifier, gave up the ghost. If you think that you have a use for the alternator kit...just holler!

Bondo

Staff member

I wasn't describing how great a motor this was I am just trying to figure out if I should change power plants.

Ayuh,...

The amount of Work,+ parts required to Repower that yacht is Not really worth the effort...
Unless of course you've devoloped a deep Love for the hull...
Otherwise,...
I'd keep my eye open for a Replacement....
When you find a hull you like Better,...
Hopefully the 470 will still be running Just Fine,+ you can unload it on another unsuspecting Newbie...

chiefalen

Captain

Forgot who posted this but he said "run it like you stole it".

Till it don't run no more.< I added this.

Why worry about this stuff now when it's running good and your keeping up with everything you got to keep up with, ie: oil changes and such.

Life is to short, enjoy it.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

Your right. A guy could find himself worrying about nothing and not enjoying the boat. But that is one thing I want to do before spring is put a Alternator on it. I heard a one wire Alt. spliced into the two yellow off the starter. Right?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your right. A guy could find himself worrying about nothing and not enjoying the boat. But that is one thing I want to do before spring is put a Alternator on it. I heard a one wire Alt. spliced into the two yellow off the starter. Right?

I had a 470 for some time and they really are like corvairs.

Once I got the manifolds changed I never had a problem. The alternator kits are available and if you have some mechanical ability ..... you can make your own. Just be certain to use a marine grade alternator that will not expose an external spark.

During to "off season" I would pull the starter and have it checked too.

The 470 was a torque monster. I also read that the 3.0L was a good conversion based on the outdrive. Bondo said it first....not worth the money or effort. Keep your eyes open and you will find 470's being scrapped all over for cheap.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you keep it in good shape you can expect 2000hrs out of it. You have a late model engine with the newer styler exhaust manifold(alum) and the 4in heat exchanger so your already better off there.

Not really possibe to switch engine without changing the drive becouse of the ratio specific to the 470. I see runners on eBay all the time for a couple hundred bucks so its cheap to drop another in.

here a website with a lot of info on them
http://www.breezeworks.net/cgi-bin/...sp?ReturnPage=Topic&ForumID=1&PagePosition=12

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There's a LOT of us that have "been there" "done that" etc.

I did it with an OMC Cobra.

They're all just fine when there's nothing wrong with them. They run as they were designed. My OMC 460 king Cobra ran well for almost 20 years.

Your best bet would be to run it and take good care of it.

When Spring comes around, sell it to someone and find yourself a boat with an engine/drive combo (Volvo/Mercruiser) that is still being sold and/or well supported by the manufacturer and after market......

Regards,

Rick

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a new single wire alternator, bracket, belt, and pulley for the 470.

Like I posted above...had it on hand for when I needed to replace the stator.

If you decide to do the conversion...PM me!

P.S. I also have a new dynamic balancer that is meant to be used with the kit. This would free you up to sell your current stator setup, complete.