66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

TGP, we have had many of them made for other starcraft owners on this site at cost. As far as a side business, I don't think there's that much of a demand. If you or anyone else is interested, shoot me a pm and if enough folks show an interest, I'll have another batch made.

On a side note, another member on this site is making them and selling them on ebay in parts and accessories.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

TGP, we have had many of them made for other starcraft owners on this site at cost. As far as a side business, I don't think there's that much of a demand. If you or anyone else is interested, shoot me a pm and if enough folks show an interest, I'll have another batch made.

On a side note, another member on this site is making them and selling them on ebay in parts and accessories.

NB has a PM:D

qmrichardson

Seaman

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting everything for us noobs. I'm taking notes as I go...

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To North Beach and all involved...

Thanks to you, I wasted a good hour and a half of a Sunday morning :) What a boat and what a thread!

Thanks!
Dave

P.S. As someone else mentioned, Hagerty is the place to get insurance for this kind of boat. They understand the costs and values involved, and the staff is very prompt and helpful. They have the insurance on my 1957 Whirlwind.

North Beach

Commander

Glad you folks enjoyed it.

So...we're off to the lake in the morning for the first splash of 2010!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Good luck with the LL...and we'd love to see another vid:D

Andy in NY

Commander

ya how did it go and wheres the damn pics and video?

North Beach

Commander

Geez guys! I just got back. And I just have to say the boat is runnin like a top!!!!! This was the first time out since I did some additional tweeking on the new carb and since we installed the electronic ignition.

Had to pour a thimble of gas in the carb to get it to start here before we hit the lake since it was fogged and put up for winter, but after that it was smooth sailing.

We finally got the idle knocked down to around 600 rpm's as specced and it really helps with the shifting.

We're bearing down on leaving for the annual trip to BC on Monday so I just wanted to do a thaw out run and have her parked in the valet right beside the Tinstock motel so sorry but no pics or video.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great to hear she is runnign good and ready for play!!! You are def one that makes me wish I would have walked into a S-craft rather than a glass boat!!!

Terry

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great to hear she is runnign good and ready for play!!! You are def one that makes me wish I would have walked into a S-craft rather than a glass boat!!!

Terry

It's never too late Terry. One of us was almost finished with a glass boat project, found an SC, sold off the glasser and joined the cult :p

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

It's never too late Terry. One of us was almost finished with a glass boat project, found an SC, sold off the glasser and joined the cult :p

^^^!!!!!!!!Club!!!!!!!!!!!
please refer to animated marquee below as needed :p

North Beach...have a safe fun trip..now I need to go find a thimble to add to my tool box ;)

Andy in NY

Commander

make that 2... although technically i hadnt really started work to my mfg, i was just about to when i bought the jupiter.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my resto is back on track, so the moment of weakness has passed.;) And I've itched WAY to bad to sell out now!

But the islanders look like sweet rigs for a big lake boat (like Jas!)! Maybe next year:D

Terry

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

N B Whad did you use for primer paint I like what you did, on the Limo and about to paint my 16 ss hull ordered the epoxe paint from jams ---- but you dident identify the primer you used or my old mind did not see it. I want to do this only once. Thanks Ed

North Beach

Commander

Ed it was 6149 Petit White Undercoater. Easypoxy

North Beach

Commander

REPOWER

Last weekend at the lake we experienced some sort of double backfire/deiseling that resulted in the cylinders taking on water. After drying and restarting, we picked up a slight nock and during the drive back to the dock she let go and blew a hole in the block. Here's a couple shots of the damage.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Kinda put a damper on our long weekend at the lake:(

So I came home and got busy on craigslist and found a 1981 Galaxy fiberglass with a pretty clean 120 hp for 600 bucks. I jumped on it and we picked it up this morning. It compression tested at 120 across the board and the factory comp at brand new is 140. The motor is really clean for its age and I need something now. This will allow me to bolt it right up and be back in the water real soon.

Here's a video of it running. We disconnected the main water line coming from the transom since the outdrive was off and fed water directly into the engine.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/HillbillyBowyer/?action=view&current=Zi6_0114.mp4

She runs really smooth! Looks like we did ok on this deal. The boat also came with a just like new 18 gal aluminum fuel tank and an alpha One outdrive that I've already sold in as is condition for 200 bucks to help offset the cost of the motor.

So we picked the motor up at 11 this morning and at 5 pm I began yanking it out. Took me a total of one hour and ten minutes to get it completely out and another half hour and I have it ready to go in the back of the truck. It's still a little wet from the dousing with carb cleaner and hosing it off. Can't be intalling a dirty motor in the LL. Here she is!

HPIM2238.jpg

The only problem I see is that after running the engine for 20 minutes or so and shutting it down, water began draining slowly at the back of the engine here.

HPIM2239.jpg

Anyone have any thought as to what's causing this? I'm trying to fast track this motor swap so I need to figure it out quickly!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

good luck on that swap, are you sure that leak is not farther up and just tricklimg down

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

NB - when i did my repower - Ed the boat guy who helped me mentioned that there are two "soft" plugs in the engine block behind the coupler housing . these are meant to push out in the case of freezing. While the engine is out pull the coupler housing and check them.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NB - when i did my repower - Ed the boat guy who helped me mentioned that there are two "soft" plugs in the engine block behind the coupler housing . these are meant to push out in the case of freezing. While the engine is out pull the coupler housing and check them.

freeze plugs that makes sense, they usually availble at parts houses

Status
Not open for further replies.