66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

OOOOOHHHH MAN NB !!! man she looks great !! I know how your feeling I just got mine out there yesterday !!! Love the name !! Congrats man !! John

14SCPN

Recruit

AMAZING Northbeach !!! Congrats on a job well done !!!!:D

Andy in NY

Commander

North Beach, I have a question for you. Did you have all kinds of little holes in your transom from crap that had been added over the years? I have a few and don't know what to fill with...

North Beach

Commander

Andy, fortunately my brother wasn't big on electronics and gizmos so I only had a couple holes below the waterline-basically from the fish finder transponder I switched out etc. Your choice of sealant and a stainless steel screw should do the trick.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

NB, she looks great. Saying you should be proud of yourself is simply not enough. So, what did it really feel like the first time out. Were you as nervous as I was? I had knots in my stomach the whole time. It wasn't until near the end of this last fishing trip that I started to settle down.

Have you insured it yet. I found it to be a very dissappointing moment. After a full review, the final decision was to value the hull at no more than 2500.00. And that was the best I got from several different companies. Boat US wouldn't even ensure the hull. Age was the sole determining factor. Pictures didn't help.

Oh well, just one more valid reason to treat it like it was my baby.

sprintst

Commander

You might want to look at insuring as works of art :)

jcsercsa

Captain

NB, she looks great. Saying you should be proud of yourself is simply not enough. So, what did it really feel like the first time out. Were you as nervous as I was? I had knots in my stomach the whole time. It wasn't until near the end of this last fishing trip that I started to settle down.

Have you insured it yet. I found it to be a very dissappointing moment. After a full review, the final decision was to value the hull at no more than 2500.00. And that was the best I got from several different companies. Boat US wouldn't even ensure the hull. Age was the sole determining factor. Pictures didn't help.

Oh well, just one more valid reason to treat it like it was my baby.

I hear yea sschefer, when the wife called on mine they didn't want to insure mine for a grand !!!!! heck I wouldn't sell her for less then 3 !!! so we just got the liability on her , it wasn't very much , but less then a grand ???? I got 2700 in her!!!!! what a racket

I was kind of Nerves when we were out, for the first hour , it was kind of like having a kid !!! lol i was really worried about the sticker i got on the side !!

NB She is really looking great , Congrats !!!! John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Quick note about insurance. I gave the rep I've been working with at Progressive the link to my resto project and after further review we established an agreed value of $10,000.00. But the catch is that the premium doubled and ended up at 349.00 a year. I'm not sure if I'm paying for security or pride.

I think I have it locked in now unless some actuary bean counter decides otherwise.

North Beach

Commander

SS Still waiting for my policy to arrive but my agent (whom I've been dealing with for years and also handles my commercial stuff) has agreed to a worth of 15,000.00. Note should be made that I would have to produce receipts for all the work and since I'm in the trades, I can show receipts for my time. That plus liability on innocent bystanders and folks foolish enough to get in the boat with me comes to 429 per year. I will pay it so I can sleep comfortably.

Oh yeah and they wanted pictures so I sent them some of Kev's boat:D

The policy price will go down once I can prove he actually has a doghouse in it:p

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

SS Still waiting for my policy to arrive but my agent (whom I've been dealing with for years and also handles my commercial stuff) has agreed to a worth of 15,000.00. Note should be made that I would have to produce receipts for all the work and since I'm in the trades, I can show receipts for my time. That plus liability on innocent bystanders and folks foolish enough to get in the boat with me comes to 429 per year. I will pay it so I can sleep comfortably.

Oh yeah and they wanted pictures so I sent them some of Kev's boat:D

The policy price will go down once I can prove he actually has a doghouse in it:p

lol..You send them pics of mine and it'll run ya 10 bux a month...less after the danged doghouse:D

My insurance agent asked me about my boat and asked me what I paid for it, when I told her 800 bux, she asked me why bother insuring it???

well I never:mad:

sprintst

Commander

I also added the hittting submerged objects for 15 bucks a year. Should I really f'er up on a submerged log, etc then it's one less out for the insurance weasels.

Andy in NY

Commander

Where do you all go for your boat ins?? there was no point to insuring my mfg, but i am def going to want the starcraft insured. im going to call allstate (current home and auto insurer), and also what do you think of boat us?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I ended up with Progessive. They have my other vehicles also. I got rear ended in my Tahoe a year ago and they handled everything. My truck was in the shop the very next day and a rental car was waiting for me. Every detail was attended to by them and I basically just sat back and waited for my truck to re-appear in my driveway. I was pretty sure they were who I would end up with. Boat US would not insure the hull without a lot of hassle. Progressive looked at my thread here and gave me the most.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have yet to come across any "worthless" information! And I have to agree that they are built well, and are actually fairly easy to work on! Know I know what the aluminum hype is all about!

Hey North Beach, It looks Great!!! I have just begun and look forward to your worthless info. I still don't know the model of mine. I'd like to put in an inboard after seeing your progress and take my extra transom off. If you have time you can see the pic on my profile. How are the rivets?? Do they leak at all after the gluv-it.

Brobrad

North Beach

Commander

BB, We'd really like to see some more pics of your boat! As far as the rivits are concerned, I didn't have any trouble with mine. We just did the Gluvit as an extra precaution.

Looks like we're gonna do another shake out run this Monday. I don't want to be at the lake for the fourth festivities-little too crazy for me:D

I'm not tryin to be one of those finish the project and drop off the face of the earth people. I just put so much work and family project stuff on hold with the trip to BC and the three week push to finish the boat, I've been swamped the last two weeks or so. And, I still have a bunch to accomplish before our two weeks at the lake starting the 18th. I've been reading all the starcraft threads and just not posting much.

Andy, I just deal with the same folks I already have my vehicle insurance with. I tend to stay real busy and I'm not really much of a "shopper".

Rickairmedic

Commander

NB we will look forward to the updates and water reports on your fine boat . I am slowly pushing along on mine and hope to have her in the drink before summer is over :D.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

So I thought I'd throw this out and see what you folks think. I ran across this little boat-an 82 Glaspar Custom with a big honkin mercruiser outboard (didn't really key in on the motor specs that much) that I think I can do some horse trading on. It's got some issues (needs new floor, stringers, and transome), and obviously its glass (which I know absolutely nothing about), but I really want it! I think it would be a really cool toy to play with.

Share your thoughts!!!!!!

HPIM1630.jpg

HPIM1631.jpg

HPIM1627.jpg

HPIM1629.jpg

HPIM1628.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

NB that is a sharp looking little boat . I do have a glass boat I plan to do up over the winter The Cutter in my avatar . I dont know that I will keep it after its done though as I really want a 21' like yours or an SS 21'er . I figure my Jupiter V covers the small boat need so now I need a BIG one :D. The Cutter is supposed to be a 15'er but from where I am sitting in the garage it looks like it would fit in the Jupiter real easy LOL.

Rick

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hagerty classic boat insurance is also a good choice for boats like ours, they only deal with classic boats and cars and really know their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.