Can I hurt my outboards feelings?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a 1983, 9.9 Johnson that runs like a top. She starts on the first or second pull every time, runs smooth, powerful, and quiet. I always figured that she would give up the ghost one day and thought of buying a back up motor just in case. Last week, a real good buy came up. A guy down the street is moving and looking to sell his 1998 9.9 Johnson. He bought it new and hardly ever used it. I've got first shot at buying it for cheap. If I buy it, and store it in the garage along side my present rig, will my 83 9.9 get offended, ticked off, have it's feelings hurt? Could she say the heck with it, and refuse to run? What to do?
Nightstalker

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I hurt my outboards feelings?

It rarely pays to buy something before you need it. I'm guessing your 9.9 will more than outlast your need for it, and probably its next owner too. Newer is not always better, either. The future is hard to predict. You may decide to get a bigger boat, need a bigger motor and have no use for either of them.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

That's like having a second wife just in case the first one craps out. Keep them apart and don't let the first one know about the second, especially if the second is much younger and prettier.

aspeck

Staff member

If you buy the "back-up" keep the mistress hidden from your special girl ... if the two meet there will be TROUBLE! ;) :D

jbjennings

Captain

I'd sure buy the '98. Especially since you can't get any of the good ol' two-strokes anymore. I personally have always wanted a harem.
JBJ:)

Rick.

Captain

On the other hand, isn't twin 9.9's every mans dream? Just like a threesome, but different. Rick.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

All great food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nightstalker

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can get the '98 model cheap as chips then it will be hard to pass up. As for having feelings, nah, I doubt it, although it seems like it sometimes. My '86 15HP can be temperamental on occassion but delivers most all the time.

If you get both, just be sure to run them both once a week or at least once a fortnight for 10 mins or so on the muffs. Keeping them turning over and cycling the fuel in the lines should keep them in good operating condition ready for use and help prevent the impellers from drying and cracking etc.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Well, if you buy it and soon thereafter, find a small replica of the new motor on your workbench with a voodoo pin stuck through it, I guess you'll have your answer! :eek:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If anything, the '98 will be the one with the hurt feelings, because you'll still be running the '83 for years to come. However, as someone who has a few motors, they generally like company. I'm pretty sure they reproduce to some extent when we're not looking...
- Scott

coolguy147

Commander

lol i would see if i could stick two motors on the back of desired boat so u get 20hp:D

i think my outboard si feeling better sinc ei replaced a lot of its old parts:p

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

After a great deal of thought, I just couldn't pass up the deal. A 98, 9.9 for $400 is a steal. I'm going to send it up North so that my son can use it on his 14' duck boat. We'll keep his old Sears 7.5 for a backup.
Nightstalker

jbjennings

Captain

NO JOKE!!!! That was truly a great deal. Not even I would haggle over that one!
Great score!
JBJ​

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea Nightstalker......keep those motors apart!!! I know my Evinrude 40 from 1992 is giving the new Minn Kota electric the eye. I'm watching her closely !
Frank

jasper60103

Commander

Great Christmas gift for your son.

That '83 is used to being ran. Idle time may hurt it more than anything else.
Seems when they sit-up too long you start having problems.

mthieme

Captain

I did the same thing this season. Someone needed bail money so I spent $100 for a '78 Merc 402. I figured it would be a parts motor for my '87 35. But, it has good compression, a SS prop. I've been sprucing her up a bit and only need an external harness to she what she does.

Whenever I get back to the dock, I always give the motor a pat and say "good girl". She knows she's loved. She starting sputtering here and there toward the end of the season, not pissing as good as good as she should, but always got me home. (Yet another spring chore)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would say keep your original motor.

Toward the end of OMCs run they were doing some pretty chincy things to outboards to try and cut costs so your older motor is probably actually better andas stated it wil probably outlast you baot if taken care of.

But if the price is right and you have the money it can't hurt to have an extra motor laying around.

If you could hurt a motors feelings mine would have left me long ago.