1962 johnson 75 hp starter problems

daveydb

Cadet
I went fishing today and the boat actually ran the best it ever has out to the fishing spot. It sputtered and died right as we got there and when I tried to start it again, it wouldn't make any noise. No clicking, spinning, turning over. . . or anything. This had happened one other time and we found a lot of corrosion on the battery that we have since fixed. We checked the battery to see how much juice was left, and it was almost fully charged. We even ran a trolling motor on it for 2 hours afterwards.

One thing we didn't do was try to pull start it. The previous owner of the boat must have broke the little hook that the rope would hook onto to pull start it, and we haven't tried to fix or modify it. My guess is that the motor would turn over but isn't getting anything from the starter.

The time this happened before, my dad took it home and it still wouldn't start. He them went to a friends house with it to see if he could work some magic, and went to turn the key to show him what it was doing. . . and it started right up. I don't know if there was a short or what and the drive over wiggled something back into place.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1962 johnson 75 hp starter problems

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would only add check the neutral safety switch could be located at the engine or in the remote assembly.If it acts up again try holding the key
and move the shift lever.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Just a cleaning tip. If you have a dremel tool, put a wire brush on it and use that to clean your wire ends, this makes them shine.

Could be a bad solenoid, or a bad connection at the solenoid. You can use a test light to see if your getting power in to and out from the solenoid, just have somebody turn the ignition key and test.

As said start by cleaning the wire ends.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would only add check the neutral safety switch could be located at the engine or in the remote assembly.If it acts up again try holding the key
and move the shift lever.

I agree. In fact there might not be anything wrong with it at all. If you had the throttle set to far toward "fast" the safety switch opens and it won't crank. That is it's whole purpose in life.

The safety switch is a small switch mounted near the magneto/distributor belt pulley.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it electric or mechanical shift? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the electric shift models need juice from the battery to run whereas the mechanical shift have a magneto and will run without a battery. Try wiggling the key. Maybe there's a bad connection.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Even the battery igniton models should crank over with the starter. He says his is totally dead, starter won't even run.

daveydb

Cadet

So, I had the batteries load tested and one of them was no good. The other charged up fine and tested fine.

It is an electric shift to answer an earlier question. All leads to the battery were taken off and cleaned. The leads on the ignition switch end have not been checked and cleaned yet. There is a little light next to the switch that lights up when the key is turned to the on position, and the amp gauge that is next to it registers over a 10. When the switch is turned further to start position, the light stays on but there is no sound, noise. . nothing. If it was the solenoid, wouldn't I hear a spinning sound?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check that safety switch. The solenoid won't operate unless the safety switch says it is ok to start it. It is there for your protection.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

have you tested for voltage at the starter?

have you tried tapping on the starter?(lightly)

sounds like you have a bad connection or bad brushes.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check near the solenoid for a inline fuse, i don't remember if that vintage had it. but if it does, it controls the starting circuit. should be small 20 amp fuse.

if the soleniod was getting power, you should here a click, not spinning.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tashasdaddy, thats what i thought at first but he said when they took it to a friends house it mysteriously started. should he be testing the starter switch also? maybe even unplug the main wire harness and jump the starter with a screwdriver?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your dash light is lighting. That says the fuse is OK.

AFTER you check the safety switch, and if that doesn't help, get a multimeter and check for voltages at different stages in the circuit. If you don't know how to do any of this, you probably should get somebody to help that knows what they are doing.

There is another option: Start throwing parts at it. You will stumble across the cure eventually. Probably cost more in the long run than hiring a real mechanic.

daveydb

Cadet

So, I haven't had time to check anything with a volt meter yet, but did have a chance when I was out putting the cover on to try and start it. Again, like before, after trailering it somewhere, it started up. So, would I be right in thinking it is more of a connection problem than a problem with the starter or solenoid? Possibly at the ignition switch. Thanks for all the help.

Willyclay

Captain

My 1962 Johnson 75HP with alternator and distributor did the same thing to me one time. Had to be towed in but when I got back to the house, it cranked up normally on the hose. Later, I may have improved a connection or two while checking and cleaning everything as TD suggested. However, I did discover the in-line fuse from the voltage regulator was acting funny. It would indicate continuity but was NOT allowing 13.5-14.0 volts to pass. The diodes and regulator were okay. Replaced the fuse holder and fuse. Never had another problem. Good luck!

daveydb

Cadet

I wish the boat was here at my house but it is at my Dad's house instead. So, the safety switch is to make sure the motor isn't in gear when it is started? A few times when we have been out, to get it to start when it was having troubles, it actually started when it was in gear. Was it not supposed to do that if the safety was working correctly?

Quick question for Willyclay. Every time we take this out, it runs beautifully on the way out. Then after we shut it off and try to start it again, it takes a lot to start it. Have you had anything like this happen? I don't know what this would be a symptom of. THe last time we went out, it purred like a kitten, but then died and we couldn't get it started. Any other tricks for this engine?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One last comment: The safety switch is on the distributor mount and actuated by the throttle. That happens because the distributor rotates back and forth as you advance/retard the throttle, which at the same time advances/retards the spark.

Therefor, it is actuated by the throttle and not the shift. The motor is able to be started in gear or out of gear, as long as the throttle is set low enough. You can only advance the throttle to fast idle position in neutral, so in that regard it is also related to the shift. But put it in gear and advance the throttle to a fast setting and it won't start. Since it is an Electramatic shift, the remote control setup is very important also. If not adjusted properly, it will cause you a non-start condition by allowing a too fast setting in neutral.

I don't know if you have a problem with it or not, and obviosly you simply were unknowing about the way it works. But it is dumb not to even consider that it might be the problem.

1. The throttle might have been set too high when it wouldn't start.
2. Your remote control might be mal-adjusted, allowing the throttle to be advanced too far in neutral. There is a screw on the aft end of the Johnson control that when properly adjusted limits how far you can advance the warm-up lever. There is a hole on the control housing that allows access to the screw.
3. The switch might be mal-adjusted on the distributor.
4. The switch might be defective (intermittant).

This concludes my last comments on this subject.

daveydb

Cadet

Thanks FR for taking the time to help a novice out. As I have seen, I have a lot to learn on this subject. Thanks for your patience.

Willyclay

Captain

Regarding the hard-starting when warm issue, this model motor has a hot-water activated choke. Mine was also hard-starting when warm and some of the experts on this forum, which I am NOT, have commented previously about that being a bad design. Good luck!

I just sent you a Private Message.

Last edited:

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hot or cold, mine starts well, so long as fuel is drooling down the carbs. I prime with a spray bottle when cold and it starts instantly without the choke.
Attached is the safety switch beside the distributor.

Attachments

• P9190031.JPG
    P9190031.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 0