stuck on land

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 18hp evinrude fastwin. this outboard ran great for years,untill last week. I thought it was just a bad plug. it's not. my lower cylinder will cut in and out. i seem to have good spark. could this be a fuel thing, a bad reed? :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stuck on land

what year or model 18? check your compression on both cylinders. also look for a cracked plug wire or boot. spark can short to the block. how do you know the bottom is misfiring? what plugs are you using?

as a kid i use to visit my Aunt and cousins, every summer, in Bradenton. Loved it there. that was when it was a small town, 50 years ago.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah i love it here. the # is 18602c-e15506. i'm using champion j4c plug. i will run it tonight and look for a spark leak(great thought-thanks). I found out i should run a mix of 32:1 ,because i was running 50:1 . i wonder if gummed something up? i pulled off the lower plugwire it still ran. i pulled off the upper and it died.

tashasdaddy

18602c is a 1966 18hp Evinrude http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1966&ID=60719 i don't know who told you to run 32:1, but they are wrong, after 1964, everything is 50:1 TC-W3 outboard motor oil. J4C gapped at .030 for high speed, if you troll a lot, you can open the gap as far as .040, to cut down on fouling.
you need to check compression before spending any money on parts, this tells up the health of the motor. remove plugs, use a screw in compression guage, pull rope about 6 times good speed. get the reading, and do the other cylinder. they should be with in 10% of each other, and hopefully near 100PSI. give us the results.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If compression checks out, you might as well go in and fix the ignition system. Flywheel puller and torque wrench required. Probably dirty or worn out points. They don't last forever, you know. Possibly a coil or spark plug wire arcing out to armature plate.

You don't know till you get in there.

And no it isn't the carburetor or reeds. Don't make trouble where there is none.

coolguy147

Commander

make sure u get the right bolts for the flywheel puller also called harmonic balancer runs about 15-20$$. not sure what the right bolts r for that motor

tashasdaddy

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. i'm still looking to use a compression tester and should have one in a day or two. i also agree on giving this old girl a little make over, because she's been good to me--and we all know, if momma ain't happy,nobody's happy

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

First!,I MUST say this is a great new thing i found:) seems to me everybody on this sight,is willing to help anybody--with anything! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!! thanks from a new-beee! i've looked at a bunch of things on iboats. i,m the guy with the 18 evinrude 1966 fastwin(THANKS TO Tashasdaddy for the correct year of my old girl--YOU ROCK!!) ? - everything i told about my motor , and all y'all gave me. i thought. (ok don't be pee'd) i mixed my fuel 50:1 for the most part. i will say,i mixed by eye for the last 3 mon. today i ran her lean cleaning plugs as i went. it started to run better. cut in and out less. my ? is ,did i just over mix ? EITHER WAY HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a 18hp evinrude fastwin. this outboard ran great for years,untill last week. I thought it was just a bad plug. it's not. my lower cylinder will cut in and out. i seem to have good spark. could this be a fuel thing, a bad reed? :confused:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these old OMC motors are famous for coil failure.Definately go in there and clean and adjust the points or new ones.
If coils have any cracks or stains replace.check the wires for cracks or corrosion at the ends.Spark should jump 1/4 inch should be blue with an audible snap.Cutting in and out I would be very suspect of the ignition.
New solid core wire should be available here at iboats.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stuck on land up date

Re: stuck on land up date

Today I checked compression. Finaly....both cylinders are a bit over 120psi . Now it's time to move on down the list all you guys gave me.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

OK, I'm renting a harmonic balancer puller. I've been using PB blaster on it. I also have the center bolt REAL tight , gave it a few good raps. Should I let it sit a hour so then try and crank more? What about some heat? I'm thinking heat is a bad idea.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Tighten and whack pretty good ,repeat as required.Leave the nut on to protect the threads.When assembling be sure shaft and bore are clean and dry.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I pulled the flywheel off on the second time around. Checked the coils thanks to the link Tashasdaddy sent me. so for $17.00 I changed out the points and condensers.That did it! Now it seems I have a low speed miss. The motor seemed to run well wide open. I didn't have a feeler gage nor do I know what the proper gap is. Do ya think that's my Little miss?

Last edited:
D

DJ

A point gap of .020" is usually the norm. A feeler guage will set you back about $5.00.

Or, you can use a matchbook cover. That gets you in the ballpark.

Please describe your low speed "miss". Is it a miss or a sneeze.

If it's a sneeze, that indicates a lean mixture. If that's the case, richen up the low speed needle by turning outward (counterclockwise).

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

A point gap of .020" is usually the norm. A feeler guage will set you back about $5.00.

Or, you can use a matchbook cover. That gets you in the ballpark.

Please describe your low speed "miss". Is it a miss or a sneeze.

If it's a sneeze, that indicates a lean mixture. If that's the case, richen up the low speed needle by turning outward (counterclockwise).

I did adjust the low speed needle out on the water didn't help. It's more of a cough like. I used the match not the cover( couldn't remember )