Couple of ? about transom replacement

Mach 1 2350

Cadet
I am in the process of replacing the transom in my 1988 mach 1 2350 and have a couple of ?'s. I plan on gluing in the new plywood with either west systems or mas epoxies but was wondering should i barrier coat the pieces first before gluing them in or will the epoxy used to glue the new pieces in be good enough. Also where the new plywood will but up against the existing i was going to make a mixture of chooped glass and epoxy and push it in between the new pieces, does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Couple of ? about transom replacement

Hi Mach 1 2350,

Well frist is the wood dry ?

If yes then i would coat all the wood with 3 coats of epoxy ! before i put it in !!

Ok on putting in the new wood in against the old wood , I really dont like the idea, if the old wood has rot in it it will rot out the new wood a lot faster. rot is a fungas and the only way to get ride of it is to take it out !!

now there are some guys that do it all the time and it will last for years , but the add weight of the wood isnt a good thing !! and getting the new fiberglass to stick is a lot of work you have to go over both the old and the new !! So it up to you on that call !!!

now on the epoxy , have you checked out US Composities .com they have some great prices and fast shipping !!

I just reread your post , and i hope your not butting up new wood to your old wood on your transom ?? if so thats not a good plan at all !!! the transom is one of the most important parrts of the boat , and putting new wood on the old , will make muss, with the old wood rotting the hull will crack at the least , or lose the motor !!John

Ps welcome this is a great place to learn on boating !!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi welcome to i boats.......

there is a ton of good info here....just read the compleated projects forum.....or look at picks of work so far......jason j' skanky beast is a great tutorial.....and for really in depth....the hull ext thread...there is an index on the first page, so you can skip right to the transom

i must strongly caution you about laying the new transom over the old. everything said in the above post is correct.

the ONLY way is to remove the old wood..........other than that.....you boat will be unsafe as it is now.

but we are more than happy to walk you right thru this

Mach 1 2350

Cadet

Yea i got all of the old rotted wood completly removed from the transom so it is down to the bare glass. The spot were i was going to but it up against was at the very top about 4" down from the top of the hull. Boat is an IO so i have thhe top deck bolted to the hull. The wood at the top is completly dry. Absolutly no moisture or rot whatsoever.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....im gettin confused.....pics please.....

but...if im reading you right......you are tyring to join the new transom with the top deck.......dont.

i think you need to do some quick reasearch here.........the job is a lot simpler than you are making it out to be........the hull ext thread has detailed pics and comments...

you must be havin a hard time in there cause the cap is still on....it is supposed to come off for a transom removal/replacement.
that means youve just spent the last week with a grinder....hammer and chizel taking the old one out peice by peice.......:eek: