honda,mercury and suzuki 9.9 15hp

coolguy147

Commander
well im looking for a 9.9 or 15 for my john boat and to put on my pontoon probably pontoon and put my evinrude lol 1959 hp on the john boat. the john is rated to 15hp not sure about the pontoon though no plate. merucrys outboards r about 1700 for 9.9 and 1900 for 15hp. really these dealers r like 5 miles within my house so thats y i chose these. my other option is suzuki which is sold by the same dealer from honda but i dont much things about suzuki but i think its has efi motors. i know for sure mercury is efi.

i like hondas cause of the handle for carry and the decompression thing too.

another factor is parts whats gonna happen in the future. like in 10 years my motor needs parts what will happen? would they still be there to buy like evinrude johnson. and the prices so anything below mercury is for sure in the top round. and im looking to johnson 9.9 i like them too but the fact that im not sure if the dealer that sells einvrude etecs sells them too and by the way honda suzuki and johnson evinrude r sold buy the same dealer in my area and mercury by bass pro. any ideas im gonna call and get prices 2moro

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: honda,mercury and suzuki 9.9 15hp

No one makes an EFI engine below 25 hp...Every brand is just as good as the next so roll the dice and buy the one that is the prettiest.

coolguy147

Commander

ok my bad i thought merucry i guess thats there higher horses. well anyways im kinda leaning towards honda but it mainly depends on the prices so i hope its cheaper then the rest and what about the parts? in the future will they be ready to buy form the dealer?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Forty years ago the average dealer stocked a variety of common parts....That's because they were usually mechanics turned boat dealers and placed a high value on service. Today, most dealers are much more business model oriented and look at parts turnover ratios before deciding to stock anything. The result is the average dealer does not have what you need, but can have it two to three days. As far as one brand having better parts availability...The world has changed and manufacturers do not feel the need to provide parts for antique models. There are exceptions to that, but they are based on aftermarket suppliers and the fact that many older model U.S. outboard engines used some parts that were also used in various other small engines. Since there is no "real" U.S. made outboard under 25 hp, there shouldn't be any difference long term among any brand label you can buy here.

coolguy147

Commander

so ur saying? that there is no guarenteee? cause i really like honda or johnson but not sure probably go wiht johnson more but the fact that there with brp and is bound to have a high price. but really the deciding factor is probably the price since there all good outboards and when the warrenty goes i can work on them since there carbed

pvanv

Admiral

If price is your deciding factor, consider this: Best price in that size range will be the Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury, in that order. The Tohatsu factory makes both the Nissan and Merc in that size range. Same motor, better price.

If you were considering a 9.9, I would suggest the Tohatsu 9.8, as it's 1- lowest price of the bunch, and 2-less complex than the next size up, which is the 15 -- unless you need the 15. The other brands will be more expensive. Each brand works very well, and some people prefer one brand in particular, possibly due to familiarity with the brand or the dealer.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Johnson labeled engines are no longer available....You are limited to Japanese engines now.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only motor my local boat dealer carries are Yamahas. The price for a 9.9hp is $2,149 and the price for a 15hp is 2,349.

http://www.akmccallumco.com/Yamaha-2stroke.htm

Of course, I've learned to buy as little as possible there because their prices are so high. So, you may be able to get them for cheaper somewhere else.

If it were me, I'd save my money and buy a good old motor. Keep your eyes open on ebay and craigslist and the local classifieds. You could find you an old 1960's model Evinrude 18 hp fastwin and you could get you two different props, one made for speed for your jon boat and one made for torque for your pontoon. That's what I'd do.:cool:

coolguy147

Commander

my john boat is only rated to 15 and i dont know where to find a old motor i would if i could. but i do not like to but motors off line and probably ya my best bet would be a used motor

coolguy147

Commander

and plus nissian is like 7 miles and merucry,honda,suzuki,johnson r like within 5 miles. i kinda wanted a newer motor cause of the kill switch feature im worried about falling off the john boat and it just keep chugging along u know about these older models einvrudes

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's rated for a 15, I would think it should handle an 18 just fine. My jon boat is rated for a 15, and I ran a 20 hp mercury on it with no trouble. In fact, if you look at my picture on the left here, that is my jon boat with the 20 hp mercury.

Anyway, if you're worried about having a kill switch, you can buy one and wire it into any motor. I believe it wires in just like the kill switch button on the motor. Then if you fall off, it turns the motor off just like if you pressed the stop button. I should probably buy one LOL. So, I wouldn't buy a new motor just for that safety feature. I mean, if you've got the extra cash and you want a new motor, go for it, but I'd rather have a used motor and keep my cash.

coolguy147

Commander

agreed!:eek:

so where can i buy this kill switch and how?

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the 1950's, evinrude's fastwin was a 15 hp. I believe evinrude also made some 15hp's in the 70's and 80's (not too sure about that, I mostly know about evinrudes from the 50's and 60's).

I would suggest going to www.craigslist.com and look up your local area and select boats. If you keep an eye on that website, I would almost guarantee you will find a boat motor for a good deal. And always reasonably haggle with the seller because they normally set the price a little higher than they will really accept. Then, when you go to look at the motor, make sure that you bring with you all your tools so you can check out the motor and make sure everything works good. You can also ask for a demonstration of it running.

I bought my 1962 10 hp Sportwin from craigslist and I think I got a great deal on it. I paid $200 for it and I've had to do very limited maintenance on it such as greasing it and resetting the points. It runs great. It actually pushes my jon boat almost as fast as the 20 hp mercury did.:D

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Just keep an eye on Craig's list and ebay in your location=a place= Orlando:D:D