uh - oh

zach103

Commander
Scratched the new (to me) truck.. first accident in my 3 years of driving.. no my question is will it be fine to leave thru winter or can should i just throw a little wax on it and let it be.. im asking cuz i still only work 4 days of work and gotta save my money for xmas presents.. heres my boo boo

b98b085d.jpg

80aa647f.jpg

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: uh - oh

if it's not to wide, ask for a set of those nice pretty stainless fender well trim things for Christmas ;)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

scratched mine up pretty good 3 years ago. all the way to the primer. no problems with it so far. little wax before winter and it should be fine. scratches build character and definitely lead to story telling.

mthieme

Captain

Don't ya hate that.
Why is that new stuff attracts dents/dings/scratches?

I always but something with a few scratches and dents already in it...less stress.

zach103

Commander

funny thing is the night before that happened i came within half of pegging my bosses truck same spot but on the other side..

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I did the same thing on my van with no issues. It appears that it didn't go to the metal, mostly down to the primer so a coat of wax should carry just fine.

I didn't repair mine for years with no issues.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i wouldn't want all that road salt to build up on it, it might casue some rust to start. They salt the roads like crazy down here in MD, when they even predict flurries.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay......

Use polishing compound and clean the area real good.

Use touch up paint on the scratches ..... no real need to be neat but get all the deep ones good.

After it dries for a day or so...... use the polishing compound again ..... then wax the hell out of it.

If you are not going to fix it right you might as well protect it for winter.

mthieme

Captain

If you're gonna fix it later, it's still going to need to sanded down to the metal.
What little surface rust that may accumulate over the winter isn't going to matter.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

scratched mine up pretty good 3 years ago. all the way to the primer. no problems with it so far. little wax before winter and it should be fine. scratches build character and definitely lead to story telling.

I agree. it is a truck. Wax it well. As Avenger says, it is another good story. Trucks are supposed to have a little character.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it should be fine. Now lets here the story :eek:

rwise

Captain

Well Zack It's time to go fishing! And we are taking your truck cause it's already scratched :D now you dont have to worry bout scratchen it, drive it, wax it if ya wish, fix it someday, maybe,,,,;)

mthieme

Captain

My neighbor put a similar scratch on his newer 'pristine' truck this summer at the ramp. It was up higher on the front fender - more noticeable.
I informed he now had a 'real truck'!

Another quick story....
I once had a D50 and the transmission died. I replaced it with an almost new S10. I went to tow the D50 home from the shop which also involved putting the completely torn down D50 4WD tranny in the bed of the S10. Everything was in 4 large cardboard boxes except the bell housing. The mechanic who carried out the boxes and set everything in the bed didn't want to put the bell housing in as it might scratch the still pristine bed. I told him it was a truck (okay, well half a truck). I grabbed the bell housing and christened the S10 by sliding it up and down the bed vigorously a few times. His jaw dropped to the ground and his expression was priceless.
Needless to say I USE my trucks.