Anybody else hate dentists?

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: Anybody else hate dentists?

I hate the dentist because it scares the crap out of me.

Its a nice man though but im just freaking scared so I hadn't been for 3 years a few months back i went and had 2 holes filled.

Im the same way. I have troubles with people getting that close to my face. Kinda freaks me out. I didnt go for a few years, then finally decided I should go in. I got my way through the cleaning, but the X rays were a different story. I finally told the Doc I was just about crawling out of my skin. he Prescribed me a mild anti anxiety pill and we rescheduled.

Now all I do is pop one pill 1-2 hrs before the appointment and im cool like Fonzie. Picking, scraping, drillin and fillin is fine by me. in my stupidity of not being able to admit I was scared I got so far behind in caring for my teeth it took 6 visits to "get things under control" and many more after that to handle the not as urgent things. Multiple fillings, a few root canals etc..

if you are scared talk to the Doc, they understand and will do all they can to make it as easy as possible.

zach103

Commander

anyone else get their wisdom teeth out? just got them out thursday. was back at work by friday and worked this weekend doing demo on a house. but damn its annoying.. i can stand the pain. i just come home take some meds and ice it. but i still cant eat what i wanna eat!!!!

mthieme

Captain

I had mine yanked when I was a teenager.
The swelling and soreness is gonna last the better part of a week.
...gotta bear with it.
Think pasta!

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mthieme is right, better part of the week to get back to eating what you want. There are many factors when it comes to gettign wisdom teeth out so not everyone responds the same. When I was in dental school I had my upper wisdom teeth and they were causing me problems. We were slow in the oral surgery clinic so i got into the chair, pulled my teeth and 10 minutes later I was pulling someone elses teeth. Had no pain, no problems. 4 years later I got my lower wisdom teeth pulled.....about a week with those ones and they were hard to keep clean. So it all depends.

zach103

Commander

yah i noticed that my top ones are perfectly fine.. nice and clean and no pain at all.. i went today and might have an infection in one of them on the bottom.. annoys me... i gotta say i don't hate dentists i like everyone i have been to. . i just hate getting stuff done to my teeth cuz it hurts everytime.. like when the nurse pokes my gums with that needle than tells me i need to brush more cuz im bleeding.. well no sh*t sherlock you just stabbed me

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'd rather sit in a dentist chain than that of an attorneys.....Plus it tends to be cheaper that way to! :D

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with you SS....much cheaper and usually less bad news.

Zach....that thing is called a perio probe....and no it is not a needle. It should not be stabbing you at all, it is meant to measure a pocket around the tooth, if you are being stabbed or poked then maybe it is being done wrong. When I was in dental school I had a fellow student (we practiced on one another) try this on me. He was stabbing me with the probe and then went running to the instructor to tell him I had gum disease because of the bleeding. The instructor came over and said that bleed on probing is an indicator of gum disease NOT bleedind on puncture.

mthieme

Captain

If your gums are less than perfect, it does feel like stabbing.

Sidenote - when the doc says "You won't feel a thing" - it really means HE won't feel a thing.

zach103

Commander

i didn't no the term just thought of what it felt like..

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now come on.......most of the time I can do the work without hurting anyone. I care though and a lot of dentists are out for the cash regardless of how they do it. I refuse to run an assembly line of patients through my office. And it only hurts if the person doing the probing wants it to. For the most part it can be done pain free if they know what they are doing. Now if you get a super deep reading it may get a little bit uncomfortable....but that is rare.

Turin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had my wisdomteeth removed a few years back in the hospital becouse the dentist could not remove them him self,
they were growing side ways,

they cut open the gum got them out and stiched it back to gather.

didnt hurt a week.

I'm glad im rid of them

zach103

Commander

same here. one of mine was sideways.. impacted is what they call it i think.. my bottom ones are the only ones that hurt.. but i figured cuz thats where all the food goes and everything rubs around on those cuts.. not like the top.. i dont mind the pain. just the food..im starting to eat normal now.. ..

dr nick thats the same way mine is.. he knows all three of us and is a nice guy

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont wanna hijack this thread......but has aone ever gone to mexico for major dental work...?....(dental surgury)

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have never, but I have seen a lot of dental work performed by "mexican" dentists. I see a fair number of migant workers....the work while beautiful......is substandard. Not sure I would try that.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

extraction and appliances?

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess an extraction is an extraction, but make sure they place is clean and sterile. As for appliances.......I have seen cheap metals used and if you have a nickel allergy you better stay away. The big thing now that is showing up in dental journals is the use of Lead as a filler in many dental appliances. They are finding that many of the south american and asian labs are incorporating lead into their products. Be careful.