New to the Site

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, I am a new boat owner. Glad to be here and hopefully I can learn alot.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to the Site

Welcome!

You will learn tons here. Don't be shy or afraid to ask questions, they will be answered by some of the best out there. What kind of boat do you have? Where are you? And remember, we LOVE pictures (easier to read!) :D

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

I am from Atlanta and debating whether to boat in Alatoona or Lanier, I am leaning toward Alatoona because the water will be at a good level. Lanier is 20' below where it usually is. The boat I have is a Chris Craft 240 Express Cruiser. Its very beautiful and its in my driveway right now. I am just cleaning it and waiting for boating season to start. I will post pics of it soon.

ebry710

Ensign

Welcome Tea Bag.

I've only been through the Atlanta Airport and Saint Marys, GA. So I cannot help on those lakes, but those pics sound great.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to i boats.....

this place is known as boat university.....

our mechanics here can save you thousands in guess work.

every thing from gellcoat scratches to how to re wire your boat is covered....

just about any question ever asked about a boat has been discussed in great detail here on the forums....the search button is a great thing.

dockside chat, is a good place to get to know the other boaters and share a few clean jokes.

looking forward to your input

cheers
oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, i have boated on both, but it has been years. do not know the current conditions. we have quite a few members from you area. i suggest starting a new thread, "boating in Atlanta?" you will get current info on the conditions. you chose a very nice boat, i have a CC 230 deckboat.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Tea Bag,
I've been boating on Lanier for 30+ years and have been on Altoona several times. Under normal conditions, you will find that Lanier has a longer boating season. Altoona is a flood control lake and is "drained" every fall. Lanier usually fluctuates about 8 feet per year. That said, however, it is down right scary on Lanier at the moment. There are tree tops just exposed or near the surface in 45' to 60' of water. Several areas of trees were left standing when the lake was filled for fish habitat. Wood will not rot under water, as the lake has reached it's record low, the tops of these trees are being exposed. It takes a couple of years to fully explore Lanier. As I learned the lake, I would pick day trip destinations form my starting point and spent a lot of weekends exploring. Both lakes can become very crowded during the summer. It's best to plan a day that starts early, followed by a long anchor period to soak up the sun, eat lunch and float aound the boat for a while. To learn more about the lakes, do a search for USACE (US army corp of engineers) and follow the links. Since the lakes are on different river basins, they have different primary web sites.

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

thanks ikbum, I think i will wait till lanier comes up its regular level. I might be waiting a few years :(

aspeck

Staff member

Welcome Tea Bag. You came to a great place for information! Enjoy the neighborhood!