Trim Cylinder End Cap Removal

Robbie Kress

Cadet
Does anyone have any experience with removing the end cap out of the trim cylinder of an Alpha I Gen II drive without having to use Merc's special spanner wrench?
So far, one mechanic told me to heat up the cylinder by the cap to expand it but I haven't tried that yet.
I did try using a large nail and tapping the cap counter-clockwise but it didn't budge (used penetrant).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbie

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Trim Cylinder End Cap Removal

I would think heating it would be a BAD idea. It's aluminum for crying out loud, don't heat it.

My dad says that if you have access to a bench mounted vise you can use that to hold the cap while you put a bar through the hole at the fixed end of the cylinder and turn it. But if your cylinders are corroded real bad, you may end up crushing the cap before you actually get it out.
Get/borrow the spanner wrench, you won't be sorry.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The proper tool would be my first thougt. It's a pin type spanner wrench. Without it, you will probably wreck the cylinder.
And YES, the proper amount of heat in the proper place will help. Do it wrong and it can damage more than you can fix.

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've only done a couple hundred of these.
In salt water use, what usually happens is that after a period of time
Salt will build up behind and around the seals.
Which will cause binding.
The result is the cylinder will extend (with approx. 3600 psi.)
But will not retract (with approx. 1800 psi.)
Having said all that: I use a pipe wrench to grip the end cap
for removal. Reason being- the end cap will be too corroded for
future use. A universal spanner tipped tool will install the new cap.
Some times heat from a map torch w/ penetrating oil is necessary.
Good Luck

TilliamWe

Banned

diamond, you make a good point, if the corrosion is so bad and the cap is already ruined, then yeah, heat and gorilla force is fine! But if end cap and cylinder are in good outwardly condition, then the proper tool is the way to go.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Having said all that: I use a pipe wrench to grip the end cap
for removal.

These are Alpha I Gen II cylinders. The "End Cap" is inside the cylinder, not external like the older models.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• End Cap.jpg
    End Cap.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
  • wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 5

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can make a spanner out of some angle iron and three bolts. Drill a hole in each end of two pieces of 8" angle iron. Bolt them together at one end. Install bolts at the open ends that just fit the end cap.

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don ; There is enough of the end cap to grab with a pipe wrench
As I stated I've done many

As far as worrying about ruining the original end cap
Why would anyone be removing it if it wasn't bad

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh I forgot;
Most times (salt water use) the cap cannot be removed simply with a spanner wrench. Due to the corrosion

TilliamWe

Banned

As far as worrying about ruining the original end cap
Why would anyone be removing it if it wasn't bad

When I had water in my trim system, the cap wasn't corroded or ruined at all, yet I had a bad seal somewhere as there was water in the system.
So there's one reason you wouldn't want to ruin the cap. I was able to reuse mine and just had the $44 for the two seal kits.

Robbie Kress

Cadet

OK guys, I got the end cap off and it's not corroded at all. Have to thank Tilliam for leading me in the right direction.
I didn't need to use heat at all. I screwed 2 stainless steel bolts (2") into the end cap where the anode bolts on and then put this end down on the top of my vise with the bolts pressing up against each side of the vise and popped it right off.

The trouble I'm now having is how to get the floating piston out of the cylinder. Any help?

Robbie