man overboard lanyard retro fit to an 1979 9.9

Rick.

Captain
I heard it was possible to retro fit a lanyard switch in place of the button kill switch on 9.9's and 15's. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the parts? or would it be too costly? I would like to do this over the winter. Thanks, Rick.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: man overboard lanyard retro fit to an 1979 9.9

You can buy the engine kill switches at most marine stores. See if your kill button grounds the ignition, most do. if so, buy that type of kill switch and wire it to ground the ign wire.

The bigger question, is why do you ant one. Is that 9.9HP motor likely to throw you overboard?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I heard it was possible to retro fit a lanyard switch in place of the button kill switch on 9.9's and 15's. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the parts? or would it be too costly? I would like to do this over the winter. Thanks, Rick.

There will be someone in here who has done it, and probably with that motor, I'll almost guarantee!
I haven't myself, but it is certainly doable and not at too great a cost.
The kill button just shorts the ignition to ground; all you need is to replace that switch with a kill/safety tether switch. Do an internet search and you will find lots of optiions. The biggest challenge will be getting one that mounts as easily as possible.
I suspect that you might end up with a snowmobile switch.
Good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they reason, in 1979 we never heard of a kill switch. most small motors you moved the trottle all the way back and the motor just died.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think kills switches are a great idea, I know I can't swim fast enough to catch up to a riderless boat, much less reboard one that is moving.

Get a wiring diagram of your motor, you will probably have to do a little studying, but is not impossible.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

excellent idea - put one on both my old motors and I attached the cord to my pfd..forces me to put the pfd on- e.g. my 76 Evinrude:

Attachments

• killsw 001.JPG
    killsw 001.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • killsw 002.JPG
    killsw 002.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 0

Rick.

Captain

The reason is mostly cause I want kids to be safer when they are goofing around doing the things kids do. Seams like a good idea to me. Rick.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

excellent idea - put one on both my old motors and I attached the cord to my pfd..forces me to put the pfd on- e.g. my 76 Evinrude:

Rick, there you have it.
Even better is that you already have the hole in your motor casing where the current pushbutton is. Should be just a "plug-and-play.

huckelberry

Seaman

I just put one on my '78 25 hp all told using brp parts the switch and lanyard cost appx. $30.00. money well spent when you have little ones on board.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Just get a kill switch -specify for an outboard (inboard or i/o kill switch is different, but some have instructions for using on either - i.e. they have 2 sets of contacts)
Install is a piece of cake- cut the two wires going to the push button, and attach them to the new kill switch. replace button with lanyard switch

When the lanyard is uncoupled, it's the same electrically as if you were holding the old button in.

You don't even have to worry about the polarity of the 2 wires. Just connect and heat shrink the connections. I soldered but that's not technically correct, but I prefer solder.

The hole I used was bigger than the kill sw needed, so I just sandwiched a couple of washers on either side of the switch. definitely a do it yourself job.

timsmcm

Seaman

can you tell me which brp part you used for this

huckelberry

Seaman

can you tell me which brp part you used for this

My 1978 did not come with a kill switch but I was able to get one from a brp dealer without any confusion. Just let them know what you are trying to do and that it is an outboard and not an I/O you will be fine.

Rick.

Captain

Was looking for a kill switch and a commonly found one on the net is made by Sea Dog. Weird but they sell them at Toy R Us but only in the US. They won't even order them in at our local Canadian store. Rick.

Rick.

Captain

I say that but they want 24 dollars to ship a ten dollar item via usps. Can't justify that. Rick.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Sierra has a few in theri catalog online. It might be easier to pick up locally. Rick

timsmcm

Seaman

Will the brp piece work plug and play without cutting wires and fit in the hole the kill switch is in now?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with you. I'd like a modern lanyard that would clip into the coil wires without cutting wires.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I say that but they want 24 dollars to ship a ten dollar item via usps. Can't justify that. Rick.

Rick, The kill switches on snowmobiles are the right config....normally open, close on activation,c/w lanyard. If you remove the push button from your motor and take it to a dealer I am sure that they can fix you up.

You have snow and snowmobiles in Edmonton, right?....:)

These guys sell Evinrudes and snowmobiles....
http://www.eckomarine.com/

Rick.

Captain

Actually I'm in the banana belt south of Calgary and until this weekend we had no snow and the snow we got will be melted by days end. Global warming is keeping our lakes open still which for this area is very unusual.
I did the retro fit this weekend with a Sea Dog kill switch. It was very simple and the switch fit the hole without any filing or washers. It had two sets of leads one for a magnito and one for a coil (normally open). I just cut the existing wires at the factory kill switch and crimped on a couple of spade connectors and I was done. A really simple project for sure. It's not the size of boat that warrants this retrofit but has more to do with the depth of the water. Rick.