1982 - EVINRUDE 15- Trolling speed adjustment problem

Rick.

Captain
A long time ago I had posted regarding the above. My engine has an idle speed knob on the side that was not making contact with the vertical throttle shaft. The purpose of the feature is to be able to set your slow speed to a predetermined trolling speed. Well after years of no solution I found the answer in Mr. Leroy Wiesner's (FAQ) article regarding the 9.9 and 15's. I thought it would be good to share it as some had left me a message asking if I ever found the problem as they were having the same problem. What I found was a reference made to the aligning of the two beveled throttle gears inside the cowling (where the throttle movement turns from horizontal to vertical) These gears need to be aligned and have reference marks which are a dot on one and a slot on the other. I got to thinking if these gears weren't set right that may be why the vertical cam doesn't come back far enough to reach the idle speed adjustment shaft and sure enough, that was the problem. I aligned the gears and all is well. I hope this might help if your having a problem with yours. Rick.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1982 - EVINRUDE 15- Trolling speed adjustment problem

Yea, there is a lot of plastic in these motors, namely in the throttle linkage. Unless these are continously lubed, these things can give trouble and offer lousy throttlling abilities. When the linkage goes bad, then these trolling speed adjustments may not work properly.

timsmcm

Seaman

I am having a problem whit mine but it is not that. I dont have long enough adjustment for mine to work. I can screw mine all the way out and it will not make the idle any higher. All of my linkage gears look right like the book says they should look

Rick.

Captain

Timsmcm. I have a 9.9 and a 15 and I was having the same problem with both. It was the two beveled gears in both motors that were the problem. Now I am able to get the trolling speed I want just by turning the knob. Before I would turn it so far the little snap ring on the knob would pop off and the shaft wasn't even close to the throttle cam. Both my motors are used and I have no idea if the gears slipped a notch or if someone had them out and didn't know about the alignment marks when they put them back together. I encourage you to take another look for the marks. They should be dead in line with each other. To remove the bottom one you screw a 1/4 inch lag bolt inside the tube centered in the bevel gear and lift the tube out. I can't tell you how many times I tried to figure why this adjustment wouldn't work. What made it even more frustrating is that the 15 hp tiller would always want to idle slower so I had to have my hand on the tiller the whole time to maintain the trolling speed I wanted. Now I'm a hand free happy troller. Rick.

timsmcm

Seaman

Rick I will look at it again

timsmcm

Seaman

Rick I checked out the gears, the triangle and the dot are matched up just like it says in the manual. The timing of the gears in the tiller handle are right too. I took off the vertical shaft and turn the tiller control and all linkage works from lock to lock on all gears. I was wondering if the vertical shaft on mine has been changed out for another one that is wrong? I did the carb sync like it said in the manual and all is working and running great just no way like it is will the low speed idle adjust knob on the side work.

Rick.

Captain

Well that sucks. If your up to it I have one more suggestion. Those beveled gears again!! If you turned the vertical gear so it was one notch out it would enable the vertical shaft cam to come in closer to the adjustment knob rod. I don't think it would make any difference to the throttle and your over all speed. Let me take another look at mine and see if I can figure out if I'm right or wrong in that assumption. I can't imagine that your vertical rod has been changed out with a wrong one. I have a 79 and 83 9.9 and an 82 15 and they are all the same as far as I can tell. I will have a look and get back to you. Rick.

Rick.

Captain

timsmcm- I had a good look and I think it would be O.K. to have the beveled gear out one notch. I know how frustrating it is to have the trolling speed adjustment and not have it functioning. If you tried it you would have to re check the carb. sync.
Another solution which is the way I had my 15hp working for two years was this. I cut a very small hardwood wedge and glued it to the cam with Marine Goop. Then the adjustment rod when wound in would make contact with the wooden wedge. It isn't a text book fix but it worked very well for me until I found the problem with the gears being out of adjustment. Good luck. Rick.

timsmcm

Seaman

Yes Rick I already put a 3/8 inch bead of black silicone glue to it and It looks good also.