What do I do?

fishinaddict

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What do I do?

You know its hard for me to believe that gas wont break paper down as well as water. I can fold the same piece of paper and drop it in water, and within minutes you can touch it and break the paper up. Is gasoline acting as a preservative?:confused:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can probably find one at one of your local tool rentals. If not, then they could likely lead you to one.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used "mechanical fingers" in the HVAC trade for years that would work very well for this problem even if the gas is still in the tank. They can be bought at just about any auto supply store, SEARS, Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. They are mounted on a flexible shaft & has a "push button" on the end that opens & closes three steel fingers. A small high intensity flashlight can be taped the end of the shaft for finding the paper. Once you see it, open the fingers & grip the paper & pull it out. Mechanics, plumbers, electricians & HVAC service techs have used them for years. They come in handy for many different uses. Cost for them is usually under $15.00. Well worth the price. Especially when it gets paper out of a gas tank.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That's a great idea too. Mechanical fingers will always serve a need if your tinkering with things. Especially cars!

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a telescoping magnet that works just like a car antenna along with a mirror that does the same thing. I wouldn't go out without them in my toolbox along with the "fingers" & fresh batteries for my miniature flashlight.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I was sittin here catching up on this thread thinking of that whatchamacallit when the next post said "mechanical fingers." I think that's your safest option, should be able to see it with a powerful maglite down there in the tank.

fishinaddict

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:D Agreed, I think this will be the best option. Thanks Vagent.

fishinaddict

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just thought I would let you guys no that the paper did break up in the tank. I have a sight glass on my fuel water seperator, and little by little it broke down. Never had any problems with it. I do greatly appreciate all the responses I got on this thread though. Thanks

bill lewinski

Seaman Apprentice

Just have to throw my 2 cents in here. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade.
About 3 or 4 times a year every year I'll get a truck towed in because it
just quit running and changing the filters and doing a diagnostic on it wont
find the problem. Whats happening is the factory is attaching a small
1/2 x 1/2 inch parts label on the fuel pick up tube. Over time it comes off
the tube and later gets sucked into the tube cutting off the fuel flow.
I cant tell you how to get it out all I can say is get it out. This is one of those things that happen quite frequently but no one wants to believe it
until it happens to them. And no the pick tube doesnt extend all the way
to the bottom on those tanks so whatever is in there will move around.