Members location

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Members location

Having been the recipient of a rather nasty flame, I don't want any more information out there than I'm willing to give. Let's suppose the flamer is a real nut job and is intent on finding me.
Not all of us live in a 1 million + metro area and could be rather easy to locate.
No thanks.

Laddies

Banned

I think a general area should be included on each post, it is quite nice to know if we are talking about a salty or a northern engine that is only run 6 month out of the year along with just being nosey.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think it is important to know approximately where folk are from. As said it can influence your reply.
If anyone wants to narrow me down and find me, make certain you bring a case of beer and a bottle of decent whiskey !!!!

Tyme2fish

Commander

If anyone wants to narrow me down and find me, make certain you bring a case of beer and a bottle of decent whiskey !!!!

I thought that border crossing only allowed one case OR one bottle. I can bring one, but not both.:D Woodford Reserve ok??

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I thought that border crossing only allowed one case OR one bottle. I can bring one, but not both.:D Woodford Reserve ok??

I see a party happening here. You'll have to bring the stuff over the border though, we'll get nailed for duties.:D $18 bottles of booze quickly cost $50-60 bucks.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I see a party happening here. You'll have to bring the stuff over the border though, we'll get nailed for duties.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Hello, ATF ...

copcar.gif

chiefalen

Captain

Used to be booze got smuggled from canada to the usa.

Now i hear theres more booze going into canada thru the back door than the front.

But prescription drugs coming into the usa from canada and mexico.

Oh well.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Now i hear theres more booze going into canada thru the back door than the front.

Oh well.

See the same thing in Europe. :(

One country raises taxes on something, and the neighbor drops theirs. It creates and stimulates tax tourism. People who travel to shop where it is cheaper. Years ago not many did this, but with the crashing economy, people have to here, or they do without.

Everything under the sun.

Medical treatment & pharmaceuticals, tennis shoes, underwear & T-shirts, gasoline, alcohol, tobacco, food, even haircuts are now causing Germans & other Europeans to go across the border to try to save a dime.

It is just not the new poor, formerly the middle class, that are doing it.

With skrocketing taxes here, the wealthy Germans are even taking their money out of the country. 50,000Euros per person, at a time, each trip across the boarder to Switzerland and Luxemberg. Sometimes making 5 or 6 trips a day with 4 people (each with 50,000) to a car till they have it all out of the country.

Each EU country blaming the other, and all blaming the little people for the problem. People are just trying to hold on to a standard of living, that now belongs to the past. :(

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oh well.

Several years back between NY and Ontario, you should've seen the problem they had with smuggling cigarettes across the border. It's still going on but without not as prevalent as back 6-7 years ago. Guys running duck boats with lots of motor and no lights across the border. They sell a carton for $10 compared to the $80 for legal cartons in Canada.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Several years back between NY and Ontario, you should've seen the problem they had with smuggling cigarettes across the border. It's still going on but without not as prevalent as back 6-7 years ago. Guys running duck boats with lots of motor and no lights across the border. They sell a carton for $10 compared to the $80 for legal cartons in Canada.

I didn't even want to get into the illegal side of the business here.

I was talking about the legal transfer of goods by private people, between the countries here. The organized crime version of smuggling everything from cigarettes, to people, has been growing, and growing, and growing, since the “Iron Curtain” fell.

It is now out of control. No way they can stop it. It is just to big.

They estimate they don't get even 10% of what crosses through Frankfurt on the way to where ever, not to mention the money laundering downtown. They don't even try to stop this.

Big Business, Big Money, Big Contacts.

Don't want to mess with these people.

We kind of mis-directed the thread now though.

Attachments

• threaddirection.jpg
    threaddirection.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 0

cbavier

Lieutenant

The longer i visit this site the more i wonder why people don't put up where they are located?

Someone that could help, local to the person with the boat problem might be able to lend a helping hand. Maybe a tool or 2.

Isn't that what all of us are here for?

I for one wouldn't mind going over and helping a guy pull a motor, and helping sort out a problem.

I do it with the Boy Scouts, baseball league, and soccer club.

Being semi-retired helps me keep my finger in sorta speak.

There must be more people around this site wondering the same thing.

Where the poster is, location wise.

Great Post and even better question. I have often wondered the very same questions. Someone usually asks where the poster is loacated and he/she reveals it anyway so why not put it up in your profile? It's been in my profile since day one at IBoats. Too many people are paranoid. One doesn't have to reveal where the boat is located if that's the worry. Only the home base location.

MikDee

Banned

Roscommon Mi.? :confused: Don't worry Chuck, we'd never find you anyway :eek: :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

One thing that hasn't been touched on, is the members here that come out of the corporate end of the boating industry. Some, but not all speak for the companies that employ them. They have to be careful what they say, and how they say it.

I have worked as a consultant for companies that forbid their employees from taking part in forums dealing with the industry in question. In may cases, they do it anyway, but they also fear for their jobs if caught.

Any information that may trace them to a particular post, is avoided at all cost, including addresses and e-mail.

They are not paranoid, they are smart.

If “iboats” ever requires this information, it will be the day delete what information I have provided, and never come back. Their tracking cookies are bad enough.

P.S. one could just lie about where you live, and everyone would be happy.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

For the very short time I've spent my time here, :D I've always have had my location posted. Think I've even got a marker on the Frapper map that Spinner has in his signature. You can look up Newville, it is on some maps but go there and you will see it is under water. It is the lake in which I spend much of 6 months out of the year on.

I've met gonfishn, Spinner Bait Nut, and BrianFD. Woosterken lives about 35 miles away and yet to meet him. Did have a chance to meet Reel Poor when Spinner had a get together a few years ago, but work wouldn't allow me to go.

There is a local reservoir that gonfishn and I frequent, but yet to go catch those huge arse muskies,,,or gators, which ever you prefer to call them :D...........SS

bigbroncoxlt

Seaman Apprentice

This thread inspired me to update my profile. Location is now listed. :)

Robj

Lieutenant

Have met Oops who lives in the Okanagan. Actually became good friends and I make every effort to at least say hello when I am up there. Maybe next time I will get to meet Tacklewasher as well.

Don't know of many members in the Vancouver area. I know Don and Ondarvr are about 2.5 hours south of me. Offered to take Ondarvr salmon fishing, but I guess he was busy. Never even met the guy, but Oops speaks very highly of him.

I like to know where people are, because you never know. Would gladly help someone out if they were close.

But I agree, you must be careful.

Have a great day,

Rob.