How do you organize your bass tackle?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do you organize your bass tackle?

i have a small 12 foot inflatable so space is an issue. i have 2 or 3 smaller 2 shelf tackleboxes that are set up for each type of fishing i do. when i plan a trip its not too hard to grab the right box or boxes, as well as the main rod im going to use as well as a back up. i used to use a vest, but it was too bulky after a while, and all gear in one huge box i think is overkill. why bring trout gear when your salmon fishing in the bay???

ebry710

Ensign

i have a small 12 foot inflatable so space is an issue. i have 2 or 3 smaller 2 shelf tackleboxes that are set up for each type of fishing i do. when i plan a trip its not too hard to grab the right box or boxes, as well as the main rod im going to use as well as a back up. i used to use a vest, but it was too bulky after a while, and all gear in one huge box i think is overkill. why bring trout gear when your salmon fishing in the bay???

What do you do with pre-strung leader?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a 1"x2"x3' piece of pine with a v notch cut across the wide end and a couple rubber bands around the middle of it. if i have a hook on the leader, hook goes in the notch across the top with the leader running down the wide side under the rubber bands. then its just a matter of grabbing the hook and pulling straight out.
kinda like if you flattened out the cheesy red plastic .99 round fishhook remover

ebry710

Ensign

Great ideal. I'm going to build a couple. Thanks.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

pvc pipe works also. i used the wood cause its what i had at the time. i used to carry pre strung hooks that way when i was pedaling a bike to go fishing.

Last edited:

ebry710

Ensign

Wood sound better for me. It goes with the teak on my whaler. You know, it is important to be a fashion statement when your covered in fish slime. Anyway, I have a small wood shop and this sounds like a good use of scrap.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

another plus is wood floats. i tried to coil leader in the plastic envelope, but it tangles. and i like ti spend time fishing, not rigging and untanglong leader. another thing i did was to get a 2 inch wide by 3 foot strip of pine, mound an aligater clip sticking up in one end. use the clip to hold a hook and cut leader to length. takes care of eyeballin for length.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Maybe I am over thinking things. I went on eBay and saw a Plano 777 with drawers and a split lid with conventional storage and storage for spinnerbait....

This thread is a little old but I got thinking I would talk about what I have done since this is the first year I have not cursed my tackle storage!

I have a several Plano 3570 boxes. One is in the top of a Plano 7271 for misc stuff I use, and the others hold less-used stuff and go in one of the two drylockers I built into my boat. The 7271 is compact and portable, and holds a bunch of stuff, and 3 of my favorite size boxes, the 3650. I don't use the spinner bait hangers since I don't have many anyway, but I use that deeper storage for my mini spools of leader material, worm blower etc. It is a nearly perfect companion to the 1364, which holds four 3650s, but does not have the smaller boxes on the right side- I don't need any more.

I like the compact size and multiple compartments, and I can take them out of the boat and lock them in the vehicle or whatever. I built the boxes around the size of my old tackle box (Rubbermaid: hard to use and no removable boxes for efficiency) but I may rebuild the drylockers this spring so that I can again lock up my tackle in the boat. Still no way to get rods out of site in a 14' boat, however.

In a boat like your whaler and especially my even smaller 14' MFG, space is at a premium. These boxes with the stacked trays are quickly accessible and take up little space. The nice thing about the 3650s is that they are not huge but hold a lot, and the 3600 model holds a whole bunch of Hagen's snell holders.

Mark

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't read the rest of the posts, but here is what I do.

Rods:
All my rods go into Stick Jackets, and into my rod box. I pull out what I want to use for a given spot, and put them on deck. Then, I have 2 or 3 things to cover one shoreline with at easy reach. If I change the type of water I fish, when I make a run, I put those back into the box, and pull 3 or so out again.

Hardbaits:
I have a seperate 360 plano box for all my stuff.
Jerkbaits - LC pointers, Rapala X-raps etc.
Shallow Cranks - up to 6 feet or so.
Medium Cranks - up to 10 feet or so.
Deep Cranks - Deeper than 11 feet.
Terminal - Hooks for plastics, weights, shakeyheads, etc.
Topwaters - Pop'rs, LC Sammy's, Spooks and Super Spooks etc.
Jigs.
Spoons - (lead jigging spoons - smaller box for these)
Spinnerbaits - All in a big wad in a box lacking dividers. Need a better idea for these.

Plastics:
Seperate little flip top boxes for:
Senkos
Finesse worms
Jig Trailers
Flukes
Other - frogs, lizards etc.

I then have a little basket that has a an extra spool of each line I use (rarely more than 3 - almost always fluoro as well), SS pliers, line clippers etc.

I take with me what I need. For example, I only use spoons and deep cranks in the winter, so I don't have those during the spawn, and I don't have my shallow cranks with me in the winter. Same with the rods. My spoon rod stays in the house with the spoon box in the summer, and so on.

When I am in somebody else's boat, I take the boxes and rods I plan on using, and then leave the rest at home. For plastics, I get one flip box, and put only the plastics I plan on using in it, as well as the line and pliers/clippers. So, when I go in somebody else's boat, I can be down to 4 - 5 boxes, one flip top box, and 3 - 4 rods.