Dish Washer problem.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good evening everyone,
Well, I think I just won the most idiot of the year award tonight concerning my dish washer. Well I was putting the dirty dishes inside the dishwasher and I couldn't find any dish washing machine detergent so I had the bright idea of using regular dish washing liquid you use in the kitchen sink instead and guess what I see bubbles comming on the outside of the dish washer itself but is was just oozing out slowly so I just turned the dishwasher off and hope the suds evaporate but there is still standing sudsy water in the bottom of the dish washer. Is my dish washer destroyed or is there hope for it, and what do I do to get it back to normal. It definitely didn't run like it used and only hummed. I am stressing and hope I don't have to buy a brand new dish washer. My wife laughed at me for doing that, but I am not too happy with myself right now especially if I have to buy another dish washer. It is a Whirlpool and is no more than 3 years old. Thanks, Bob:eek:

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dish Washer problem.

You are going to have to unload the dishwasher and drain all of the soapy water. Then without any dishes, run the rinse cycle several times to make sure that the suds are gone.
You did not damage the washing machine, just the soap suds trying to expand and escaping around the seal.
The seal is not water tight, just held tight with the door latch. If you notice that the bottom of the machine does not allow for the water level to get up to the bottom of the door.
From now on JUST WASH THE DISHES BY HAND:eek::eek::eek: and your wife won't have to deal with that problem again.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have seen this happen before. We were on vacation and there was an unmarked container of liquid soap under the sink. We thought it was liquid dishwasher detergent. But it was apparently Dawn. It filled the entire kitchen floor with bubbles. It was awesome. So we stopped it and put powder in. Well there was still enough Dawn in there that it filled the kitchen with bubbles again! After that it was fine though.

Kenny1970

Seaman

Man this is some funny stuff and I would love to have seen pictures of it.
I have not known what a dishwasher was sence I left home 18 years ago

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Don't worry..... it's a Rite of Passage for most of us to have seen this or even participated in this. No harm done...... just rinse it out and it will be fine.

I was in a condo once that the dish soap made 2 feet of suds in the entire kitchen.

It's something to laugh about.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

That's funny and would love to see the pics.

Yeah, everything should be fine as others stated. I've never done this and I think I'll stick with the little drop in tabs so I don't ever have to.

But, I don't think this is as uncommon as you think but probably still less frequent then leaving the plug out of the boat at launch:D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After you run it a few times, if you still have suds, try putting in a 1/4 - 1/5 cup for white vinegar and run that. You're going to have the cleanest dishwasher on the street! :)

scipper77

Commander

After you run it a few times, if you still have suds, try putting in a 1/4 - 1/5 cup for white vinegar and run that. You're going to have the cleanest dishwasher on the street! :)

aren't dishwashers kind of self cleaning anyways?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

aren't dishwashers kind of self cleaning anyways?

Mine usually takes a shower after she does the dishes........ ;)

Actually I do the dishes 6 out of the 7 days of the week.

The reason that the vinager works has to do with Ph. Soap/detergent has a ph around 10-12 in the wash cycles. Vinager will lower this and as such render the soap nuetral and useless. In laundering a product called "sours" (sodium florisilicate) is used in the rinse bath to lower the Ph so as to not cause rashes and makes the product being washed last longer due to less dry rot. Care to take a guess at what I do for a living?

scipper77

Commander

The reason that the vinager works has to do with Ph. Soap/detergent has a ph around 10-12 in the wash cycles. Vinager will lower this and as such render the soap nuetral and useless. In laundering a product called "sours" (sodium florisilicate) is used in the rinse bath to lower the Ph so as to not cause rashes and makes the product being washed last longer due to less dry rot. Care to take a guess at what I do for a living?

Chemical engineer or dry cleaner?:rolleyes:

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Who else could picture a "I Love Lucy" episode with this happening?:D

scipper77

Commander

Who else could picture a "I Love Lucy" episode with this happening?:D

don't forget about "The Brady Bunch".

Vinager will lower this and as such render the soap nuetral and useless.:D

Correct me if i'm wrong but soap operates in 2 ways, as a detergent and as an emulsifier. I'd say the vinager only counteracts the detergent property od the soap.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am guilty as well. You just have to let it rinse out and all will be fine.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I've done this five, yes, FIVE times. :eek: As a home inspector, I would run the dishwasher to test. I always wanted to see the look on the homeowner/seller's face when they got home. No damage done, just a funny situation. Oh, I no longer put detergent in when I'm doing this, no matter how many dirty dishes are in there. I also never trust what people keep in their cupboards. Refilling the dishwasher bottle with soap, there's no way to know anymore...

j_martin

Admiral

Been there, done that.

I think this happens more often than is reported.

1. Only men do it.

2. No man will tell anyone he did it unless he gets caught before he gets it all mopped up.

John

98LSWON

Seaman Apprentice

QUOTE]

You know why new brides wear white?

So the dishwasher matches the refrigerator......;)

dolluper

Captain

Ha Ha funny going to have to change your name to BIG BUBBLE