1977 sea ray

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, Im pretty new to the boating world.... I bought a 1977 sea ray 200 i/o with a 305 back in july.... I love the boat, but i'm reading on here a mojority of older boats have wet foam, rotted strings, etc... my question is, how likely is there wet foam if the floor is pretty decent, im 6'5 250 and its solid under me, the boat seems to be in great shape, is the only way to tell by cutting a small peice of the floor out and looking? I would go by weight, but i cant find out any info on that, if anyone has any id greatly appriciate it! this is an old fiberglass boat thats built pretty solid, so would i even need foam? i appriciate any help!

jesse

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 sea ray

hi jessie....welcome to i boats !

ya gotta love the old searays !
if you go to searay.com....you can find in the archives, the old brochures for the rays.....that will give you everything you need......

as far as foam......im not convinced your boat has it.....its just at the limit....and the old rays didnt need it for structure.....it was in the early to mid 80's when the mann's started to use the foam to use less glass and resin on the production line.

BUT......it is allways better to know....than to find out in the middle od the ocean !

yup.....make a few inspection holes in the deck......you can buy aftermarket inspection covers....some are actually vents, vents will prolong the life of the boat by letting air get under the deck to dry any moisture from condensation.

try taking a core sample of the transom.....(in various places)....once you know for sure.......you can enjoy that big ray as much as you want !

they are truly fantastic boats that hold up well with care

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

welcome!!

threadworthlesswithoutpicssmileys.gif

Just kidding but we do like pics...;)

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Nice big pic's, I guess Gary can take has signs down now:D btw how long is the boat and do you have pic's of the inside? OK Gary put the signs back up:D

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

this is probably a stupid question, but how do you do a core sample?? where exactly??? is there any posts on here on how to do it?? i used the search, but i only got repairs..... i dont know too much about boats, but i wanna make sure everythings is good before i restoring some of it.... i appriciate all the help!! jesse

oops!

Supreme Mariner

man i love the lines on the the rays.....

drool drool drool

and gary.......:D

jrolland

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow nice looking boat! It was a little strange reading this because my name is jesse as well. Even though I don't have a 200 like you. I do have 75 sea ray 190. I haven't been able to use it yet but come this spring she will be ready for the water. Good luck with her!

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

thanks!! sorry about the big pics i dont know how to resize them..... this is the best one i have of the inside right now from the day i got it, notice the life preserver as a boat fender, :rolleyes:

SSPX0115.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow nice looking boat! It was a little strange reading this because my name is jesse as well. Even though I don't have a 200 like you. I do have 75 sea ray 190. I haven't been able to use it yet but come this spring she will be ready for the water. Good luck with her!
I love it.... it handles waves like its three times the size
*whats a great name jesse is :cool:*

oops!

Supreme Mariner

fyi......just so you know that with a glass boat.....anything is possible.....

the boat in the hull ext thread is a 69 srv 190 i/o

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the inside pic's they look good. There's nothing wrong with the big pics I think they show more detail. I was stating big because you went from no pics at all to nice colorful, clear, detailed pics ;)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Nice! I love the lines of those older SeaRays.That does look like a good riding hull.
Looks to be in great shape for her age as well as the trailer.

That teak wood trim around the back will clean up great.
Pressure wash it,let dry then sand smooth.Then use several coats of golden teak...It will look new and is easy to do.
Mine was all gray and it turned out really good.
I wipe it with more teak oil twice a year to keep the color and repel water.

Make sure to get it winterized correctly and park it with the drive down and the bow as high as possible...;)

Very nice! Congrats!

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the inside pic's they look good. There's nothing wrong with the big pics I think they show more detail. I was stating big because you went from no pics at all to nice colorful, clear, detailed pics

I'm suprised how well the pics turned out..... I took em with my cell phone

I was reading the brocure and it says the boat has flotation foam, but i'd probably be able to just remove any wet foam, and go from there?? since its not probably structural i could get away with out replacing it?

Nice! I love the lines of those older SeaRays.That does look like a good riding hull.
Looks to be in great shape for her age as well as the trailer.

That teak wood trim around the back will clean up great.
Pressure wash it,let dry then sand smooth.Then use several coats of golden teak...It will look new and is easy to do.
Mine was all gray and it turned out really good.
I wipe it with more teak oil twice a year to keep the color and repel water.

Very nice! Congrats!

thanks..... the gauge shows it has only 338 hrs. which i would think is good, being so old
and that wood trim was the first thing i did.... made a world of difference:)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I'm suprised how well the pics turned out..... I took em with my cell phone

I was reading the brocure and it says the boat has flotation foam, but i'd probably be able to just remove any wet foam, and go from there?? since its not probably structural i could get away with out replacing it?

Probably could. Is the deck plywood? It looks like planks in the picture?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You may want to check those trailer tires.They look to be car tires and are not safe for that weight or trailers.
Tires are pretty cheap though..

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

it has the acces in the middle, but im pretty sure its plywood, i havent pulled up the carpet, except by the engine, but that was more like a fiberglass

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

You may want to check those trailer tires.They look to be car tires and are not safe for that weight or trailers.
Tires are pretty cheap though

thats the first thing for next year.... i figured i didnt want to buy new ones just to sit all winter

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

What size are they? Northern tool is where i bought my last set...good price and they are wearing great.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

On the core samples you need to get in the engine bay and drill 1/4 inch into the transom with a small bit.Be careful don't go too deep.
Light color wood shavings are good.Dark wet shavings are bad.
If dry then seal the hole with 3M 5200.( Walmart has the small tubes in the boating supply)
The stringers under the floor the same process. They usually rot from the rear forward so try to test them a couple feet from the transom.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it has the acces in the middle, but im pretty sure its plywood, i havent pulled up the carpet, except by the engine, but that was more like a fiberglass

the deck is plywood with fiberglass encasing it......as far as the foam....weigh the boat first to see if it is wet.....if the deck is not soft....you might be ok......

im surr in the rays it wasnt structural....and you being 20 feet, dont legally need it........

if your not sure, search core sample