Inland navigation rules

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had another interesting incident at the lake today, quick question about inland lakes and navigation markers. Does the same apply red and green makers on lakes like the ocean. I had some jackass cut me of when I was trying to stay right of a green bouy. Then he told me to go to the left of the green bouy and is was my fault for trying to stay to the right. Now if my navigation is correct if there is a red bouy on on side and green on the other side of the channel you are to stay between the bouys as far to the right as is possible. Of course I might be wrong but maybe somebody could answer it for me.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Inland navigation rules

A green buoy will be on your right when you are heading to open water. And on your left when returning.

This is basic stuff. Very basic. I started learning by remembering Red Right Returning. Meaning the Red markers will be on your right side when returning.

There is not always two markers to go between so it's important to know which colors represent what.

Also Green "Cans" are always numbered in Odd numbers if numbered. Red "Nuns" are evens.

You may want to take a few minutes and review some navigational rules, or re-take a safe boating coarse.

Bill

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea that is what I thought, I have always gone by the red on the right returning. I was trying to stay to the right of the green can that was not numbered. I was heading into open water and he came up behind me. Before I knew it he was beside me about 20 feet away. I was forced to take the green can on the left. GRRRRRRRR it still bothers me.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

According to the Inland Navigation Rules, you are correct. When you are between the red and green markers that indicate the chanel, you stay to the right side.

Splat

Lieutenant

Yea I think you got it. You should have passed the gree marker to your starboard. Meaning it should have been on your right as you were heading out to open water.

Also if he came up from behind you he's double wrong. He should have doen two things if you want to get real technical. One he should have signaled 2 short blast of his horn and waited for you to reply with two short blast of yours. Especially in a channel. two short blasts indicate he intends to pass you on your port side. The two in reply tells him you understand, and agree with his action.

Secondly, he is the give-way vessel because he's overtaking you. THis means it's his responsibility to maintain a safe distance, and heading, as to not interfere with your current course. You still have to pay attention however.

Bill

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have noticed this to be a problem on a lot of lakes in this area. It is a tourist area and there are a lot of boaters that are just plain ingornant. I by no means have ton's of hours on a boat but I have noticed that when on the ocean people seem to have a better understanding and knowhow. Around here any young kid will get a boat and hit the lake knowing nothing about boating. This is realy a problem at Lake Powell with the house boats cutting the corners in the main channel. even if you are on your side of the channel you still have boats coming head on at you. Most of the time they are people that have rented the houseboats and had the 10 minuite course on how to drive it. Also on lake powell you have to watch out for the blue bayliner outboard boats with blue bimini tops. They are also rental's.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

When heading toward open water the green buoy should pass down the right side of the boat, in other words, you should stay left of the buoy. If there are both red and green buoys, the channel is between them and you should stay to the right side of the channel bounded by the buoys but still between them.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I had to pass the bouy on the right side, It was to my left.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

BTW, red buoys will be on the right side and green will be on the left side of the channel when travelling upstream in a river.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Understanding the bouys is essential on the Mississippi and its navigable tributaries. Not only can channels get narrow in spots, but get on the wrong side of a channel marker and you can kiss your lower unit or outdrive goodby if it strikes a wing dam. The Corps of engineers guarantees a minimum nine foot navigation channel between bouys. They guarantee nothing on the outside of the channel.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Guys, you are asking A LOT of your average boater to know even one rule from the "Rules of the road". Most people are doing good if they at least don't hit a bouy when driving their boat.

The folks on this forum aren't average boaters.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"The folks on this forum aren't average boaters." all the more reason, to require every boat owner to be certified, thru an inclass safe boating school, before the boat is registered. atleast we then get some knowledge out there.
a boat is a moving missile just like a car, only the boat does not have brakes.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"The folks on this forum aren't average boaters." all the more reason, to require every boat owner to be certified, thru an inclass safe boating school, before the boat is registered. atleast we then get some knowledge out there.
a boat is a moving missile just like a car, only the boat does not have brakes.

I couldn't agree more.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a relative newbi, learning from books and by a slow hands on approach.

I am trying to remember this important lesson by "Red Right Returning" & "Green Going Out", but then I am right handed.

Hope this helps.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess the reason I was asking was because that is how I always did it on the ocean. Just making sure the rules were the same on lakes as on ocean's. I was pretty confident I was in the right on this one.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I had another interesting incident at the lake today, quick question about inland lakes and navigation markers. Does the same apply red and green makers on lakes like the ocean. I had some jackass cut me of when I was trying to stay right of a green bouy. Then he told me to go to the left of the green bouy and is was my fault for trying to stay to the right. Now if my navigation is correct if there is a red bouy on on side and green on the other side of the channel you are to stay between the bouys as far to the right as is possible. Of course I might be wrong but maybe somebody could answer it for me.

This thread is not nearly as clear as it would appear, given the very "firm" opinions being expressed. The description of the event makes me think that kk26 is confused.
kkr26 opens by saying that he was trying to stay right of a green buoy, and that the jackass (JA) told him to go to the left. (at that point I believe the JA is correct)
Later it seems to me that kk26 changes his description.
Sorry, I had to pass the bouy on the right side, It was to my left.
As far as I can tell, he is referring both to "his right or left" and also to the "left or right side of the buoy" and interchanging that terminology; that can complicate establishing a clear picture.

I think there are two seperate issues here, navigation rules versus paying attention to navigational aids.
If the JA was overtaking kkr26 (and kkr26 was maintaining his course), and then cut him off, he broke clear navigational rules. You can be charged and fined for an offence.
If kkr26 just means that he was obstructed from passing the buoy in the manner that he wanted, and thus was "cut off", I don't think he has a case.
The channel markers (at least in Canada) are an aid and for reference. You are not bound to operate within their bounds, but if you don't, you accept the consequence.
There are situations in yacht racing when you may acquire "rights" of access at a contested buoy, which can actually trump or equal navigational rules, but not in general boating at a navigational buoy.

If he was cut-off by a boat which was overtaking improperly (according to the rules) he has every right to be pi***d. The speed and width of channel would also be a consideration as to whether 20 feet seperation was too little.

IMO the green buoy is irrelevent and just a red herring....:)

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess it is just a matter or courtiousy allowing another boat sufficent room to get to the left side of the green bouy. O can see where I my description would be a little confusing. Fact of the matter is that I always try and give people plenty of room on the water. I guess I expect the same from other's.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I guess it is just a matter or courtiousy allowing another boat sufficent room to get to the left side of the green bouy. O can see where I my description would be a little confusing. Fact of the matter is that I always try and give people plenty of room on the water. I guess I expect the same from other's.

But that is a slightly different complaint, and I wouldn't disagree ~ and if everyone operated like you, we probably wouldn't need as many rules and regs.:)
Unfortunately, since they can't legislate courtesy, the authorities having jurisdiction have had to settle for mandating at least a minimum level of safety.
Equally unfortunate, you appear to have run into a boater who operates right at that minimum; I think he probably was within "the rules"....but in your position I would probably have been just as pi**ed as you were!