this guy couldnt hit a lake with a boat...

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well we tried to help but when i told the guy the best shot at getting it in the water was to get it back on the trailer they said well its going in the lake anyways we might as well just push it back ... well after i descibed a cheese grater on the fiberglass they said the would try it my way... back the trailer SLOWLY up to the boat as i cranked the winch but we heard the glass cracking due to the hieght of the trailer " sliders", so these people learned the hard way that safety chains are SAFETY CHAINS, and their is a reason why they are called safety chains. this happened in the same marina as the coast guard aux. hitting another boat trick, and its the second time ive seen this this week! only difference is this one got caught by my ex's camera. i luaghed and she felt bad... then i showed her what a safety chain is and understood my convelesiance. they eventually had to get a crane to set it back on the trailer. i hope i never have to do that!
COULDNTHITALAKEWITHABOAT.jpg
the guy later told me about how he managed to sink a jon boat by backing off the throttle tooo quick right b4 a big wave hit the bow. lets learn from that too.

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: this guy couldnt hit a lake with a boat...

I almost had a same thing happen to me, without it even being my fault. I was with a buddy heading out on big lake, getting ready to launch. He was helping me get ready in the launching lane by getting tackle boxes, etc. into the boat. I removed the transom tie's at which point I didn't notice that he disconnected the safety chain and the winch. I started backing up and I hear the sound that rollers make when I'm sliding my boat off, at the same time I see my buddy running to the boat as I'm still backing up. He managed to catch the boat before it rolled off of the trailer and he put the safety chain back on. His reasoning for doing it "I didn't realize it was a roller style trailer", I give him credit for not knowing what kind of trailer it was because it was the first time he went on that boat. That sure did wake me up (it was around 6am).....

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your freind probubly felt so happy he saved it! the last time i saw this the safty chain broke! i am happy that when my trailer popped off the ball my saftey chains didnt break! and then both of my freinds called me stupid... thats life i guess!

Splat

Lieutenant

How the hell did they manage that. It's a bunk sytle trailer ad the ramps don't look very steep. Did he back up quickly and slam on the brakes?

Bill

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe he could have waited for the tide to come in, by looking at the retaining wall water lines.

CATransplant

Admiral

My dad, a very experienced boater, said that almost happened to him once, with his 23' boat. He was backing down the ramp, when the pawl on the winch broke. As he was backing, he saw the boat start to move.

His answer? He hit the throttle and fast-backed the trailer down. The boat went into the water, not onto the ramp. Lucky. After that, he kept both the winch strap and the safety chain attached until the trailer was in the water.

Stuff happens.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I watch people all the time at the ramp power load with someone in the tow vehicle and they never hook the strap..the driver just takes off up the ramp.

Watched a brand new pontoon do this a couple weeks ago.
The guy in the boat was gunning the throttle while his wife pulled him out.
The Merc outboard was still running when they stopped up in the prep area.
He never even tilted it up.The skeg was maybe an inch off the pavement!
They then hooked the winch strap and drove away. No tie downs,safety chains and never tilted the motor up....Geeze!!

j_martin

Admiral

I watch people all the time at the ramp power load with someone in the tow vehicle and they never hook the strap..the driver just takes off up the ramp.

Watched a brand new pontoon do this a couple weeks ago.
The guy in the boat was gunning the throttle while his wife pulled him out.
The Merc outboard was still running when they stopped up in the prep area.
He never even tilted it up.The skeg was maybe an inch off the pavement!
They then hooked the winch strap and drove away. No tie downs,safety chains and never tilted the motor up....Geeze!!

I did that once with the bass boat. Tow car was stuck in the sand and needed a little help.

I did shut down about the time the prop came out, and trimmed it up as we went up the ramp, but there was absolutely no way the wife could have stopped to fasten the bow strap without getting hopelessly stuck on the bad ramp.

No harm done. Amazed a bunch of bystanders.

John

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did that once with the bass boat. Tow car was stuck in the sand and needed a little help.

I did shut down about the time the prop came out, and trimmed it up as we went up the ramp, but there was absolutely no way the wife could have stopped to fasten the bow strap without getting hopelessly stuck on the bad ramp.

No harm done. Amazed a bunch of bystanders.

John

now that is what i call quick thinking, and one for the record books......ive never heard of someone getting their car unstuck using their boat, but i like it.