5.0L merc. Alpha 1

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sold the 1995 7.4L OMC King Cobra. Now I'm looking at a 1994 5.0L (305) Alpha 1. The ? is what all should I look at prior to purchase. An individual has it. I have asked to go for a test drive on the water and will check performance, should I still do a compression check? It is a 20' Crownline- will this set up be strong enough to push it? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I don't want to act like a jerk when I'm looking at it but don't want to feel like one if I buy it. ( I don't have a marina to check it)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: 5.0L merc. Alpha 1

I would strongly suggest checking the transom, stringers and floors to be sure they are sound - that is a lot of work if there are spongy areas. I would also remove the drain plug and check the outdrive fluid to see if it is milky, burnt, "normal" or brand new. The same with the motor oil.

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have checked the floor with 250# tester shoes, I don't know how to see the stringers, but looking at the bilge the trasom looked good, Would the seller have a problem with pulling the drain plug on the outdrive?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I have checked the floor with 250# tester shoes, I don't know how to see the stringers, but looking at the bilge the trasom looked good, Would the seller have a problem with pulling the drain plug on the outdrive?

Open the doghouse and tap around on the stringers where the engine mounts are.

If the seller would not let me take the drain plug out for a quick look I would continue looking elsewhere.

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This motor has 700 hours on it, it has been maintained by a local dealer, should I be concerned about that many hours?

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,... That's barely broken in...

A SBC should easily see 2000/ 3000hrs before a rebuild...
With Proper Maintance of course...

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't think that was too much. The alpha 1 has a variable pitch prop on it and a whale tale, so I'm thinking the owner was trying to get all he could get out the 5.0L. The other Crownline I had , had a 7.4 so power is a concern for me.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I have asked to go for a test drive on the water and will check performance,.....

It is a 20' Crownline- will this set up be strong enough to push it?

I would think a 305 would push a 20' boat along very nicely. But that is a subjective thing isn't it? ;) Your trial run should answer the question.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I sold the 1995 7.4L OMC King Cobra. Now I'm looking at a 1994 5.0L (305) Alpha 1. The ? is what all should I look at prior to purchase. An individual has it. I have asked to go for a test drive on the water and will check performance, should I still do a compression check? It is a 20' Crownline- will this set up be strong enough to push it? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I don't want to act like a jerk when I'm looking at it but don't want to feel like one if I buy it. ( I don't have a marina to check it)

I can't remember what size boat you have now (that you want to put the engine/drive -IN)

Just remember that you're pulling an engine/drive combination that is approx 300 propshaft HP and replacing it with one that is approx 200 propshaft HP.

This is an approx 30% reduction in thrust. You can probably expect about a 30% reduction in performance (that's assuming that the 2 hulls are similar in weight and hull type)

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will see when I go out if it will pull my sons on a tube. It is a sharp boat for a 94 - motor and out drive look good. thanks for the input.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You really have to look at this from the sellers point of view too, thes test run sounds more like a free ride to take the kits tubing than a boat test drive. I know I sure wouldn't go thru all that for a prospective buyer, just for a test ride, there is also the insurance thing if something happens while the kids are tubing.
I would also have problems letting someone I don't know, pull the spark plugs out and do a compression test. A qualified marine mechanic that the buyer is paying for to check the boat out is one thing, but not someone off the street. If they want to pull drain plugs on the drive to check the gear lube, they better have new gaskets for the plugs, and oil to top the drive off with in hand. OR, he better have some ernest money in hand so that if all checks out ok and you still decide not to buy it, he gets that deposit.

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My reply was worded wrong. I asked if he would take me out for a test drive. The seller said all work (Including winterizing) was done at dealer and I could check with them. I will not pull any plugs or do a compression test because I agree it would not be proper. If the weather doesn't cooperate I was thinking that running on muffs would be good enough, thats how I sold mine.