ATF waterproofing method sucsess

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
me and my dad have been arguing if ATF (automatic transmission fluid) would waterproof wood i said that it wouldnt, and he said test it and find out..... so out at my dads shop, i found a 2x4 took a rag and rubed in some ATF all the way around it on half of the 2x4, left the other half just plain so i could compare it to somthing, let it dry for like 5 mins, dunked it in water for like 5 mins, and ill be damned if when i pulled it out the water just roll off my wood on the half i treated with ATF:eek:

in conslusion i am going to be using ATF on the underside of my wood in my boat! just use a paint brush or roller and put a couple coats in! cheap easy method of water proffing

Hint i doubt you can paint to wood after treating it thou, i dose leave a little oily residue, thats why im using it on the underside and putting grizzly grip on top!:D

www.grizzlygrip.com - thats whats going on top

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: ATF waterproofing method sucsess

That's not a test. You can pour any type oil on wood, paper, your pants, or the driveway and water will bead up on it for some time after it's applied, if it was that easy to water proof wood there would be no rot in anything.

As the oil continues to be sucked into the wood it will be less effective and water will get past it, it will work for a while but not the best long term. It's probably no better or worse than many other products though.

redfury

Commander

Agreed. The thing is, temperature changes are going to hydroscopically force the oil in and out of the pores of the wood as it never really dries. Try a penetrating oil sealer if you want something that will work like that but be longer lasting, like tongue oil. It will penetrate the wood, but harden in the wood.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget the oil slick it's going to leave every time it hits the water.

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ATF? The Environmental Police would scream bloody murder!

There is a retired chemical engineer who talks about rot... His name is Dave Carnell... The man knows his stuff. He really knows his stuff...

The reason I'm not including his link is that I worry about pointing towards links I haven't checked for viruses. (And that is NOT to say that there is a problem with Mr. Carnell's site. It's just that the machine I use to check for adware, spyware, and viruses is down right now and I can't check. One more time... I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with Dave Carnell's Web site... I'm just being thoughtful.)

Back to Mr. Carnell... In the wooden boat world, he is associated with the Cape Fear Museum, the Simmons Sea Skiff, and is an expert's expert. If you want to understand wood rot, Mr. Carnell is your man... (His "Chemotherapy for Rot" should be carved in stone.)

Anyway, just my $.02

Alan

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

ATF? The Environmental Police would scream bloody murder!

There is a retired chemical engineer who talks about rot... His name is Dave Carnell... The man knows his stuff. He really knows his stuff...

You mean the guy that talks about ethylene glycol for rot prevention?? ATF would mostly stay in the wood because it is not soluble in water. The glycol is soluble and would come out of the wood any chance it got to bond with water. glycol would be much less environmentally friendly in my opinion. The glycol mixes with the water making it poisonous to just about everything. Can't easily separate the glycol from the water either. The ATF wouldn't mix and would just float to the top and actually stay separated (mostly).

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

for one.. this is going on the UNDER side of the wood, not in the water or near it.... the wood is going to be a platform INSIDE my boat

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dude, your not getting it. ATF or any other petrolium based lube is going to soak in and dry out over time and then you will have no protection. And water will get past the seams in the wood and end up in the underside of the wood in the form of moisture of some type. If you have access to Creosote that will penetrate and never rot but you don't even need to do that, just get a good quality wood sealer and roll it on and forget it.

Bondo

Staff member

for one.. this is going on the UNDER side of the wood, not in the water or near it.... the wood is going to be a platform INSIDE my boat

Ayuh,....

If you're naive enough to believe that it Won't get Wet,...

Why would you want to treat it at All...

Your Plan, treating with ATF is Bogus,+ will Not work,... Period....
You need to use an actual Wood treatment, that Drys....

The guy that says to use Antifreeze, is saying to Treat the Rot, then seal it properly....
Not to treat new wood with Antifreeze....