How do I know if?

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do I know if my cylinders are getting fuel from the carbs? For instance, a boat mechanic said that I had a stuck float needle valve in one of my carbs. If I don't get fuel to the cylinders then I get no lubrication! What can I do at home to check this once in awhile?
Thanks,
Wayne

elhombre

Seaman
Re: How do I know if?

Does the motor run? Are the plugs wet after cranking? if any of the plugs are dry, those cylinders are not getting lubricated, but they're not firing either. Rebuild the carbs. If one has problems, the rest are soon to follow. have fun!

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor runs pretty good. I've rebuilt the power head and the carbs. I've been running 25:1 mix during the break-in and will be doing a de-carb with Seafoam this weekend. I was told that the power head failure may have been caused by lack of lubrication to the #2 cylinder, which was trashed, when I bought it. I just want to be able to check on this once in a while.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A #2 piston issue is not that uncommon on those motors. There were quite a few service bulletins out on them, make sure you're up to date on them all. OMC actually danced around the real issue but there was a reason which isn't important now.

Those motors run pretty lean in the mid range & cruise rpm. You're running on full advance timing but not a lot of fuel. The middle cylinder naturally runs the hottest. On a long cruise in the mid range the middle piston can indeed become damaged. Your mechanic was probably grasping for straws when he mentioned a stuck needle valve. However, he was on the right track. If you saw the damaged piston it most likely had a lot of skirt damage which leads you to look at fuel supply.

Because the motor is running so lean in the mid range we found that going richer on the mid range jet stopped the issue 99% of the time, given everything else was in proper working order.

Oddly enough if someone ran that motor wide open all the time it would almost never fail. Still full advance timing but you're dumping a lot more fuel once you get into the hi speed jet.

Start with the basics. Make sure the timing is correct. Make sure you have the right Champion plugs, I'd opt for the slightly cooler options. Make sure you run fresh 87 octane and a good TCW III oil. Make sure the top rpm is between 5800-6000. Once you verify all that if it were mine I'd go a couple numbers richer on the mid range jet.

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how would I adjust to go richer? And I'm at 5200 rpm now which is better than before I rebuilt the power head.
Also, where can I get those service bulletins?
Thanks,
Wayne

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

5200 is lugging it pretty bad and will again raise combustion temps higher than they need to be. If you're going to keep the rpm there I'd suggest going 3 numbers richer on the mid and maybe 1 or 2 on the hi speed jet. A much better solution would be to adjust the set up so that your top rpms are at, or as close to as possible, 5800.

To go richer you need to change the jets. The service bulletins are a dealer item. From time to time some of the guys here have posted them for folks.

What spark plugs are you using?