Trolling motor doesn't turn left/right & other wiring/battery questions

JB007Rules

Cadet
So first of all this is my 2nd post and everyone on here has helped me a lot with everything else that I have read, so THANK YOU. This is a long post, but I really really appreciate all the help I can get. I plan to budget about $2,500 for the beginning of next season to put into the boat to make it PERFECT, so I'm not about cheaping out and if any of you think I should replace/repair anything or even bring it in to the pro's at my local marina, please tell me

So to start off with, I have 3 batteries total. 2 deep cycle 12v batteries that I THINK are running 24v via series, with a 5a ONBOARD charger (little blue one that i think is around $150 new) sitting in the front of the boat in a compartment. 1 cranking/starting battery that sits at the back of the boat in the compartment).

So I think this trolling motor is seriously circa 1960's because its sooo old looking, but it works, it just doesn't steer left and right. What can I do to possibly repair this, or should I just replace it next season (it's a min-kota with I THINK 50lbs thrust)? I think it's a 24v because it has that 3 prong proprietary plug that plugs into the boat at the front, and the guy I bought it from said it was wired for 24v. As far as I know (and the guy I bought it from knows), that trolling motor is the ONLY thing that is hooked to those 2 batteries in the front.

With that being said, their is still 2 burned out lights on the boat (one in the middle, one in the front) that DON'T WORK when tuned on. Their is the little hole in the front and back where you are supposed to stick the lights in when operating at night, that both DON'T WORK either. Do you guys think the wiring is bad or just the bulbs are burned out? (4 in total, with 2 on those removable stick things, and 2 as just normal lights for convenience).

Their is a bilge pump with works EXCELLENT (had to use it when I lost the plug in the middle of the lake and almost sank), THAT WAS A NIGHTMARE.

Their is also another pump, which I think is the bubbler pump for the bait well which turns on but appears to do nothing. Both the LIVEWELL AND BAITWELL DON'T work. My question is: What pumps water into the baitwell and livewell typically? The bilge or that other pump thing? and if I did manually put water into those via a hose, I get no bubbles in the baitwell when I turn on either pumps? Also, how would one drain a baitwell & livewell if the boat was in the water? What should I do to fix this?

Their is also a fish finder on board that only seems to turn on and work when the engine is in neutral and the boat is stopped (obviously). As soon as the engine is put into gear (either forward or reverse) the fish finder turns off (it's a 1978, 90HP Merc 6 Cyl 2stroke with power tilt). Any ideas on that?

The last concern that I have is the fact that this boat is about 18-19 years old now and most of the wiring looks pretty shabby, but all in all EVERYTHING else still works to the point that the boat is operable (ie: starts, runs, bilge works, tilt works, ect. It appears that I have a horn as well but its just hanging their from the wire under the console... Should I attempt to re-wire the whole boat starting at the cranking battery in the back and working my way forward to the trolling batteries and lights and other things? I am pretty good with wiring because I'm a computer guy and have re-wired everything from cars to trailers to home A/V and other 110/220 in house wiring, as well as telephony stuff.

Thank you for reading this... I know it's long, but I really really really do appreciate anyones help!!! Also if anyone is interested in going fishing, don't hesitate to PM me because I'm ALWAYS game for ANYTHING related to boating and fishing around Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin, and the U.P. of Michigan as well!!!

JB007Rules

Cadet
Re: Trolling motor doesn't turn left/right & other wiring/battery questions

I was also thinking about installing AC 110v into my boat and was thinking about running the inverter off my dual batteries in the front. Now the obvious issue with this is that you can't run a 12v inverter from a 24v hookup. In this case I would consider re-wiring the batteries in parallel so that i get 12v (and twice the capacity) and simply re-placing the trolling motor with a new 12v one. I would then run wiring to wire up 1 or 2 110v plugs throughout my boat. I was thinking a 1000 watt marine inverter should do it.

What do you all think?

Thanks again :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While you've given us a very long and detailed description of the things that are wrong with the boat, we have no idea what boat brand, year and model you are talking about. We have no idea what type of live well system you have since we can't see your boat, and there are many different configurations. I can say however that the bilge pump does not put water or bubbles into the live well or bait well because the bilge pumps only purpose is pump water out of the boat should any get in there, and if there is no water in the bilge it can't possibly pump any into the livewell. As for the lights, the obvious thing to do is to pull the bulbs and check them. Your auto battery charger will work to power them. If the bulbs are good, then check the sockets. If the sockets are good, then the wiring needs to be checked. And just to make things really simple, check the fuse. Live wells and bait wells are filled by a separate pump which is probably that other pump thingy you mentioned. Does it run? If not, figure out why not. Livewell pumps don't pump bubbles, they pump water from outside the boat through a fitting in the stern. The water sprays out a spray head in the live well which aerates the water. A drain is either provided in the bottom of the tank or an overflow fitting near the top of the tank allows water to run out the side of the boat or out the rear. A standpipe may be installed in a drain hole in the bottom of the tank. As the tank gets full, the water runs over the top of the pipe and out the drain just like the water tank on your home toilet.

Yes you can run 12V devices from a 24 volts system. All you need to do is wire the device directly to either battery. Do NOT wire across the 24 leg. You MUST wire to the POS and NEG terminal of either battery.

As for the trolling motor -- a model number would be helpful.

JB007Rules

Cadet

Sorry about that... It is a 1990 18' fiberglass Yar-Craft deep v-hull with a 1978 90HP Mercury 6 cylinder 2 stroke engine. It has what I think is a 20-27 gallon permanent fuel tank that is below deck. The other pump does work... it makes a noise when I turn it on. That explains why their is small pvc pipe fitting into the hole on the bottom of the bait and live wells that is removable, and it does have what appears to be a sprigit on the end of it.

JB007Rules

Cadet

Might I also mention that the baitwell/livewell pump was at one point COMPLETLY submurged in water when the plug came out of the boat while in the lake, however, it still seems to physically run. if that one pump is used for both of the wells, then how would you determine which well it pumps into, or would it pump into both wells, unless their is a shut off valve somewhere that I am not aware of...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my suggestion is first to get a volt meter, and see if you have power to all these places, the fixture or connection could easily be bad, and need to be replace, also the same with the pumps. the plug in lights are known to go bad, do to water settling in them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the discharge line from the livewell pump and see if it pumps water? If not, the pump is either shot or the intake line is plugged. Got to get it pumping before you can tell how the system works. With the discharge line disconnected, use your garden hose to put water into the end of that hose. See if water comes out both the livewell and baitwell spray heads. Both should have overflows so it is very possible the pump serves both purposes. If the pump does not have a timer on it, I suggest you install one. They run about $30 and allow the pump to run for a minute and remain off for 3 minutes. Some are adjustable. They simply replace the existing switch. This saves battery power and eliminates the need for you to constantly switch the pump on and off when you have fish in the live well and bait in the bait well.