How/Where to sell partially damaged pontoon boat?

jhookem15

Recruit
I live in Houston Tx and during hurricane Ike my pontoon boat had a tree fall on it. It fell right through the middle of the boat, the engine was spared though. It was in exellent shape until then, new upholstry, carpet, the works. Basically what I am wanting to know is, how can I go about selling it, or where do I start? Of course I know I am not going to get what I would have had it not been hit, and I doubt it will be worth someone trying to repair what is damaged but hey everyone has reasons to buy something. So I was thinking to try and sell it to someone that could use the parts or whatever they needed off of it for soemthing else. Anyone have any suggestions where I can go or look to sell it, or a place that buys boats such as this? Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Jason

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How/Where to sell partially damaged pontoon boat?

try posting it on craigs list,, give a good description and some pictures,,craigs list is free

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Part it out.

Take everything off that is not damaged, and sell it individually, as was mentioned in the previous post on Craigslist.

Take the pontoons, and the rest of the aluminum to the recyclers, and sell it as scrap aluminum.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

if you part it out and do some research on what parts cost new when you price them, you may be surprised what you get for it one piece at a time,, way more than selling it as a unit.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I personally think you would get more money for it parting it out on eBay, rather than craigslist. Wouldn't you agree?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Wasn't it insured? And if it was, I would think the insurance company would have hauled it off. If it was not insured but stored on your property at the time, your home owners insurance may cover it. Then buy it back for pennies on the dollar and part it out. Engine on e-bay, the rest to the marine salvage yard.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

were the toons and deck damaged, if not there is a demand for stripped to the deck toons.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

It might also be a good alternative to search for a “stripped to the deck toon” as T-Daddy mentioned, or one with a blown motor, and remove all of your still usable parts, to use on this boat.

That is if you still want a boat.