Cowl Painting

Digpig

Cadet
Just looking for some suggestions. I want to paint the cowl on my old ( but nice running believe it or not ) FoRce outboard. Trouble is it is covered by a sticKer that is peeling and cracking. I can peel some of it off but a sticky film is left....what is the best way to remove the decal and the residue left by it ?
Also painting the lower unit....what is the best proceedure for this area and are there spray cans available that will work well for a year or two ?
Also the sound proofing foam is gone from inside the cowl...any suggestions for a replacement as it's a fairly loud motor ?

Last edited:

shinallb

Cadet
Re: Cowl Painting

I wouldn't use wd-40 on it if I were going to repaint it later...I prefer to use Naptha or Rosonol lighter fluid. Neither will leave a greasy residue to clean afterwards.

tallcanadian

Captain

as far as your lower unit goes, there are spray paints out there for that purpose. moeller makes engine paints for outboards and comes in different colours. also primers as well. you can see their site at www.moellermarine.com.

dade61782

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use a small propane torch for heating heat shrink. i just pass it across the edge of the sticker just to heat it a little ( it doesnt take long) and peel up the edge to start and just pass the torch up and down just ahead of that and peel it off.just dont leave the flame in one spot to long

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Since you are going to repaint, use mineral spirits or Decal Goop (remover). Then sand it smooth, clean it to remove dust, prime with zinc chromate or zinc phospate primer (self-etching), then do the color coat and new decal. You can do a good clear coat last, it you want it to really shine.