wellcraft v20 / OMC seadrive question?

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
Originally posted this in the general boats forum, but was told to repost here for better answers about the seadrive part of the question.

I think I found a good project boat on craigslist. The posting was short (wellcraft boat for sale) with just a number, called and its a '74 steplift V20 cuddy cabin with a newer trailer. It's about an hour away from me (Coles Point VA) but I might take a look if it sounds worth the drive. Seller emailed me pics and it looks in good condition, says hull and transom are solid, cosmetics could use a bit of work, and trailer is solid (he towed it from NC wth no problems). He says he wants "about 600$" for it...but he said its in working condition and can be used now???" Obviously, theres a catch...powerplant is a OMC Seadrive 115HP (1.6L i believe)...He says the motor's in great condition and runs fine, but any opinions on the seadrives? I've read up and since the motor is just a dressed up johnnyrude V4 and if the drive was mounted high enough to avoid the water-ingestion problem, then it seems it would be fine.

I've been looking for a larger winter project boat to handle the lower VA rivers and Chesapeake bay, the Glassmaster is just a little small for that, more of a lake boat. This would be something me and my friends would take our time working on this winter, goal to be finished by spring.
Any guys out there own wellcraft v20s or seadrives or have opinions on either?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: wellcraft v20 / OMC seadrive question?

sea drives are a hybrid, the mount is unusal, and a lot of those parts are not available, or expensive. BRP site does not even list the sea drive.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know squat about Sea Drives but it sounds like a fun project, fishdog -- especially for the price. And I haven't seen a Wellcraft hull I didn't like the lines of. Remember too, that Sea Drives aren't forever. If it turns out to be a dog, you could make a project out of converting it. There's a great article by a guy over on the Whaler site who did just that.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/seaDriveConversion.html

Go get her and post us some pics!

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

My thoughts exactly Scott. I really like the lines and flared bow and if it as solid as he says is, it would be worth it for the price even if I ended up tearing off the Seadrive and reconfiguring.
Trailer is a 1990 Cox tilt something don't remember exactly.

Also, I haven't asked him yet...but what could the hole/fitting near the bottom of the bow be...looks like a livewell something...but near the bow??
...not sure about the NC registration number either, he did say thats where he bought it but I thought he would have been required to change it?

52870159kn0.jpg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. That hull will take you into some big water easy. And the trailer alone is worth more than the price of admission.

I agree that fitting up front is unusual. I wouldn't think it's a locker drain as it looks to be well below the waterline (unless he didn't mind the last foot of hose being constantly full of water...and you'd think a livewell intake would have a strainer. World's smallest bow thruster? :D

As for the Reg -- heck mine still has her NC numbers and it's not even in the right country anymore! Admitedly, I am asking for a coupla hundred dollar fine from Transport Canada. Got get that changed...

mthieme

Captain

The V20 is a classic. Good deal.
I've never seen one with an outboard.