Squirting Fog oil in cylinders

jasmo123

Cadet
Does anyone have an opinion about removing the spark plugs in a 3.0LX mercruiser after you have fogged and stalled the engine. Removing the sparkplugs and squirting a little oil down in the cylinders? Then replacing the sparkplugs. It seems that I read this some where and I did it, but now I don't see where anyone says to do it. I hope I won't have somekind of problem in the spring. Any opinions are appreciated.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Squirting Fog oil in cylinders

Its an extras step some folks do and some folks don't do. I do it on my outboard and have no problems (other than a little extra smoke at spring startup)

It certainly won't hurt them.

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do it and change the plugs at the same time. 30 minutes extra. y knot?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I do it and change the plugs at the same time.

That's not a good thing to do. The fogging oil on the plugs is why they need to be changed in the spring. If you are going to fog the engine, leave the old plugs in till spring, then do your full tune up and test run.

If you squirt enough oil in the carb while it is running and keep it revved up and running to really get a lot of oil in everything, it's not necessary to add to the cylinders. Especially on I/O's Outboards are a different thing.

I have just used fogging oil in the carb for years in Ketchikan, and trust me with 160" to 180" of rain a year it's wetter than any place else in the US. And, we NEVER had a problem. (PS: Rainy Seattle gets about 38 to 40" of rain a year)

jasmo123

Cadet

Ok, so maybe the worst thing is that I maybe fouled a set of plugs. That's not so bad I guess. I had ran them all season anyway. Thanks for the reply. I think I read to shout some in the cylinders on the side of the fogging oil can and I guess that pertains to outboards. I also used to have an outboard. Sometimes I wish I still did but I guess they both have advantages and disadvantages.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Okay here's the deal.....
On an outboard..... you pull the plugs and spray inside because there's 1 carb per cylinder (usually). On a multiple cylinder multiple carb (like the 26 Pursuit with twin Johnson 200's i'm going to winterize tomorrow) engines. I have 2 cans of of fogging oil, 1 in each hand, and I still can't stall out the engine. Not that you need to necessarily stall it. But you do need to spray enough that there is a enough smoke that a neighbor wants to call the fire dept. On a multi cyl/multi carb outboard.... buy the time your fogging the last cylinders the first ones have burned through the fogging oil already.
Sterndrives are 1 carb. So just bump up the idle to 1500 and start spraying until the smoke gets good and heavy..... if it won't stall at 1500 then just run up to the helm real fast and turn the key off. You don't have to stall it, but it doesn't hurt it either.
As far as changing the plugs...... the fogging oil sorta ruins plugs.... i mean they'll probably still fire by the spring... but they won't always perform their best. What I do come spring is start her up on the old plugs.... they should still fire. Let it warm up and blow out all the fogging oil. Then kill it and let it cool down for a bit THEN change your plugs and the rest of the ignition related tune up items.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

That's not a good thing to do. The fogging oil on the plugs is why they need to be changed in the spring. If you are going to fog the engine, leave the old plugs in till spring, then do your full tune up and test run.

If you squirt enough oil in the carb while it is running and keep it revved up and running to really get a lot of oil in everything, it's not necessary to add to the cylinders. Especially on I/O's Outboards are a different thing.

I have just used fogging oil in the carb for years in Ketchikan, and trust me with 160" to 180" of rain a year it's wetter than any place else in the US. And, we NEVER had a problem. (PS: Rainy Seattle gets about 38 to 40" of rain a year)

Never asked this before, can you use a reg old 30w oil...the $1.00 can type..:cool:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

your better off with a good TCW3...... it burns better.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I have an outboard and I do what you suggest Don. I leave them until spring, start it up with the old plugs (first winter with the boat so I'll use them to decarb with seafoam as well) and then put the new plugs in it.