Using a metal trailer in saltwater

kbrooking

Cadet
Any suggestions on using a metal trailer in saltwater? Are there any precautions that can be taken to minimize the corrosion?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Using a metal trailer in saltwater

Depends on what metal it's made of. If it's a plain steel trailer, you'll have to keep a close eye on it, and keep it free of rust and keep it painted. If it's a galvanized steel trailer, you'll have less concern, but you'll still need to keep it hosed off after use. If it's an aluminum trailer, you'll need to watch for corrosion from electrolysis, and pay close attention to any fasteners, especially ones you add later.

I don't know of any trailers made of anything but metal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

wash down when you do boat, and flush motor.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Just to expand on the previous comments... make sure you flush the wheels and brakes with fresh water - from the insides. Flush everything with fresh water as soon as possible. You'll have to flush the engine anyhow.

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a product called "Fluid Film" on all of the bolts nuts and any of the hardware that is used to attach anything to the trailer. It has a Lanolin base and creeps into all the voids and seals out any corrosion. I use my galvanized trailer all over Baja for the last ten years and is in good shape!
Nick

kbrooking

Cadet

Thanks all for the information. However, I guess I should have been more specific when I said metal trailer. I should of have asked "using a painted steel trailer in salt water".

I would like to use the boat in saltwater but, the manual scares me. It says the following:

"A galvanized trailer must be used in salt water operation... Painted trailers will be damaged when exposed to the corrosive effects of salt water and will lose their structural integrity within a short period of time."

Are there ways to prep a painted steel trailer for saltwater use? Such as trying to plug all the holes that would allow salt water into the steel tubing, maybe spray painting the trailer with a cold galvanizing compound...etc or is this probably a waste of time and be better off just buying a new galvanized trailer?

The trailer is a Trailstar p-25 that came with my 2005 Suntracker Partybarge. Not sure if these trailers are any good and I am unable to find any information on-line about this trailer model. I assume it's steel. Heck, for all I know it might be aluminum.

mthieme

Captain

Up until I saw party barge, I assumed you were talking about an ocean. Exactly where to you plan to boat?
Brackish water isn't as hateful as ocean water.

kbrooking

Cadet

Nearby, we have a large body of water called the Salton Sea. It's an inland sea with no outlet. It's 25% saltier than the ocean. But, it's only 5 miles away to the boat ramp. I could get alot of use from the boat if I were confident the steel trailer would last 3 to 5 years.

mthieme

Captain

Yup. It won't last too long.
You could strip it down and and use zinc chromate.

reelfishin

Captain

If you have to use a plain painted steel trailer in saltwater, it's best to not try to plug any holes, you want it to be as open as possible to make it easier to wash away the salt. Salt will stay in places like frame tubing, clamped or layered steel such as a suspension slide carriage, and it will get under loose paint. The best bet would be an open C channel frame not tubing. Open bottom axles are easier to keep clean but also tend to be thinner and will rust out faster.
I boat 90% of the time in saltwater, even a good galvanized trailer will rust. The springs and wheels go first, then the hardware. Frames with non draining cross members have about a 4 to 5 year lifespan.

Lots of lube, keep it well painted, and remember never, ever neglect to flush and clean every tiny groove every time you use it.

I prefer to launch in freshwater and run to the saltwater, but with today's gas prices, that's not always doable. Even when running in some freshwater, I'll still flush and wash the boat and trailer just to be safe. I also like to keep all moving parts well greased, as well as never seize on any bolts that I may later want to adjust or remove.

chiefalen

Captain

Reel what you launch out of Sayerville?

kbrooking

Cadet

Thanks All,

So is it safe to assume that if I do a real good job of washing the steel trailer down after time I use it in salt water, I should be able to get 3 to 5 years use out of it?

(I just have this nightmare of launching the boat in salt water for the first time, coming back in a couple of hours and seeing my trailer has rusted away into a pile of junk. At least that?s what the manual suggests.) :)

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have a 1963 painted steel trailer that was used in salt water the majority of its life and is still in use. The only thing replaced from corrosion has been the springs.