Impeller replacement (Part 1) - '94 40hp

Backcountry

Cadet
Background: New to outboard repair. Motor was running fairly well, but was not pumping water at idle. Pulled the hose from the water pressure gauge off the brass fitting to see the flow. Good flow with the throttle up, but barely spitting out of the fitting at idle. Took the thermostat off and tested it, functioning properly. Tried to clear any potential blockage, found none. So, decided I would at least change the impeller.

Disconnected the coupler from the lower shift rod. Was kind of difficult and the coupler was difficult to turn, but finally got it. Then removed the 4 bolts holding the lower unit on. There are only 4 on this model. I pulled the lower unit. Driveshaft seal and retainer is in the first photo.

Removed both, then removed the 4 bolts in the water pump housing. Removed the housing, exposing the impeller and water pump back plate. Removed the impeller and the plate. Was surprised to see that there was no gasket anywhere in the water pump. Checked the condition of the impeller key and it looked pretty good.

I've included photos of each step I took.

Now I need to order the parts. Would have done it already, but wasn't 100% sure whether this motor was a '94 or '95. It's definitely a '94.

Concerns: The lower shift rod looks slightly bent near the section that is exposed and just below the coupler. Not sure if this happened when I removed it, just hoping it's not going to be a real problem. I guess I could heat it and try to bend it back, but don't know if that's a good idea. Also not sure why the gunk collected in the top plate of the lower unit (around the water pump housing. Guessing there is a small oil/gas leak somewhere, but not sure.

Questions: To me, the pump housing and back plate feel smooth, not really pitted at all, although some sections discolored. I know I should probably replace both, but I'd rather avoid the expense if it is unnecessary. Also, should there be a gasket somewhere in the water pump, other than the nylon washer and seal ring around the driveshaft?

Hope to get the parts ordered tomorrow.

iboats has been great...thx!

Attachments

• PICT0046-1.JPG
    PICT0046-1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0047-1.JPG
    PICT0047-1.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0048-1.JPG
    PICT0048-1.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0049-1.JPG
    PICT0049-1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0054-2.JPG
    PICT0054-2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Impeller replacement (Part 1) - '94 40hp

If it were mine, I'd put an impeller in it and bolt it back together.

Backcountry

Cadet
Re: Impeller replacement (Part 1) - '94 40hp

Replaced the impeller and reinstalled the lower unit. Still a little surprised that there is no gasket on the water pump housing, but who am I to say.

Definitely better water flow, noticeable at idle. Still only reading 1 psi on the water pressure gauge (as opposed to 0 before), so I'm starting to think I may need to replace the gauge, or just accept that as the baseline. In my mind I'd feel better if I saw 3-4 psi at idle.

Adjusted the idle speed and it seems like it's running real well now in the water barrel. I'm pretty sure I adjusted the shift rod linkage correctly. I'll feel better about it after an on the water test.

Thanks again for all the help here.

BC