Help with 1978 galaxie 260 mercruiser

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, getting back into boating after a long long time.....

1978 Galaxie XL2200, 21' 6" length.
350 Chevy crate motor with 100 hours on it.
Mercruiser outdrive w 23 degree 5 blade stainless prop
Above is how the boat came

Boat is in Reno, NV running at 3800 feet altitude at Pyramid Lake

Took it to lake to run the first time. Boat will not exceed 3000 rpm, if the speedo is correct going around 35mph-37 mph, ran with trim all the way down, water temp was running around 180F......when i slow down to let it cool down, it actually heats up? Is this normal?

Thinking I probably need to do the impeller, and oil in the stern drive at the same time, correct?

Second time to the lake, put 17degree 3 blade prop on, and now with trim slightly up, boat will pull 4000-4100 rpm around 35mph, but strangely, I noticed when putting the trim down upon putting the boat in the water, the down button was very hot to the touch????? After running for about an hour, smoke was coming from under my right leg, didn't seem like exhaust smoke, more electrical........when I slowed down, the smoke went away, when I sped up, the smoke came back.....help?

Various people in the know, told me that I should be running in the 4200-4600 rpm range, is that correct??? Seems like this boat should do around 45 to 50 mph

Also, when I get the boat on the trailer, I have exhaust stains around the lower back half of the boat??? Some people say it is running rich, but I am wondering if there is something wrong with the exhaust bellows????

Speaking of rich, the plugs that I pulled look like they are brand new, definitely not a cocoa color.......is it acutally running lean???? It has a quadrajet carb on it.....should I play with the jetting??

Also, when I pull the drain plug on the hull, about two gallons of water come out, doesn't seem like leak in cooling system, maybe coming in through the outdrive somewhere?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with 1978 galaxie 260 mercruiser

Ok, getting back into boating after a long long time.....

1978 Galaxie XL2200, 21' 6" length.
350 Chevy crate motor with 100 hours on it.
Mercruiser outdrive w 23 degree 5 blade stainless prop
Above is how the boat came

Boat is in Reno, NV running at 3800 feet altitude at Pyramid Lake

Took it to lake to run the first time. Boat will not exceed 3000 rpm, if the speedo is correct going around 35mph-37 mph, ran with trim all the way down, water temp was running around 180F......when i slow down to let it cool down, it actually heats up? Is this normal?
When was the last time a full tuneup was done?....
Is this a points type system or electrinic ign?
You need to verify your readings with a GPS & a separate tach.....
180 is warm for a closed system, very warm for a raw water system...
It is normal for water temp. to go up after a run due to reduced water flow & heat sink....

Thinking I probably need to do the impeller, and oil in the stern drive at the same time, correct?
Since you need to drain the drive to replace the impeller, yes.....

Second time to the lake, put 17degree 3 blade prop on, and now with trim slightly up, boat will pull 4000-4100 rpm around 35mph, but strangely, I noticed when putting the trim down upon putting the boat in the water, the down button was very hot to the touch?????
Resistance causes heat....
The trim system runs independently of the engine electrical.....

After running for about an hour, smoke was coming from under my right leg, didn't seem like exhaust smoke, more electrical........when I slowed down, the smoke went away, when I sped up, the smoke came back.....help?
Right as in starboard?
You will need to get in there with a flashlight while someone else is driving & look.....

Various people in the know, told me that I should be running in the 4200-4600 rpm range, is that correct??? Seems like this boat should do around 45 to 50 mph
4200-4600 is correct

Also, when I get the boat on the trailer, I have exhaust stains around the lower back half of the boat??? Some people say it is running rich, but I am wondering if there is something wrong with the exhaust bellows????
You will have to look....

Speaking of rich, the plugs that I pulled look like they are brand new, definitely not a cocoa color.......is it acutally running lean???? It has a quadrajet carb on it.....should I play with the jetting??
I would not mess with the jetting until you have looked at everything else......

Also, when I pull the drain plug on the hull, about two gallons of water come out, doesn't seem like leak in cooling system, maybe coming in through the outdrive somewhere?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Impossible to say, but when you pull the drive to replace the impeller, you will have the chance to look for water intrusion in the u joint bellows.....;)

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a points type ignition.

So should I replace the impeller then, and take it back to the lake?

Right as in starboard.....seems like coming from around the throttle housing, the blowing across to the left......

Thanks

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It is a points type ignition.
I would replace the points & set the dwell & timing....

So should I replace the impeller then, and take it back to the lake?
That's what I would do....
If the overwarm condition persists, there are other things to look at....

Right as in starboard.....seems like coming from around the throttle housing, the blowing across to the left......

Thanks
I would also get a timing gun with the advance feature, & make sure you are getting proper advance....

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok here is dumb question....

do you know off hand what those should be?

Dwell, timing and advance? My friend I think has the tools that I need.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

if your at that elevation you should pull your carb apart and see what number jets are in it. its a 30 year old boat.... who knows what it's jetted for.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I was planning on doing.

I know the boat came from Sacramento, basically sea level

Sounds like I should set the dwell, timing, and advance, take the carb apart and look at the jets while I am doing all that, then run it, and if I have to re-jet, than go from there....

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/03/cover.pdf
Here is the manual for your engine......
It is 1.3 GIGABITES, so it will take awhile....
Merc reccomends changing prop pitch vs. jetting with regard to altitude....
Point gap should be .016-.019
Dwell should be 26-31 degrees...
Timing should be 6 or 8 btdc...
Total advance 33 degrees or so 23-27 + 8.....
Check the manual to be absoloutely sure, these are off of the top of my head....
Check to see what readings you have before you change anything, it will give you a baseline to work with & point out any glaring problems.....
Like I said, I would mess with the carb very last....
JMHO, your mileage may vary....;)

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, what is JMHO????

Also, one other thing, I notice that the tachometer needle sort of bounces around a few hundred rpm or so, meaning, that it will bounce from say 3900 to 4100, it doesn't seem to hold an exact reading.

I know that the gauges are brand new Hardin Marine gauges.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, what is JMHO????

Also, one other thing, I notice that the tachometer needle sort of bounces around a few hundred rpm or so, meaning, that it will bounce from say 3900 to 4100, it doesn't seem to hold an exact reading.

I know that the gauges are brand new Hardin Marine gauges.
Just My Humble Opinion.......;)
Could be the engine is actually surging or not.....
That is why I say use a separate tach to analize.....
If your buddy has a dwell meter, he has a tach, too......:)

Bondo

Staff member

Speaking of rich, the plugs that I pulled look like they are brand new, definitely not a cocoa color.......is it acutally running lean????

Ayuh,....

To me that says it's running Rich,+ Injesting Water from somewhere....

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello there, I am sorry, I am new to this, what is a private message???

Do I need to do something differently?

Don't plugs that look new indicate lean?? Also, where would water be coming in from??

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Don't plugs that look new indicate lean?? Also, where would water be coming in from??

Ayuh,...

Lean usually means White plugs, or erosion, or aluminum specks....

Brand New Looking plugs are steam cleaned, from water....
Especially if you have soot stains on the transom,+ can Smell the fuel when running...
Where from, is what you have to diagnose...

You have Alot of issues going on,...
A Compression Test,+ possibly a Leak-down test will give you some ideas on Why it's down on power...

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks very much for all of your help, i will start going through these things and get them sorted out.....all I know is that this is a sweet boat with a sweet shape, and I am looking forward to having fun with my family....

will keep you posted.

chiefalen

Captain

You smell gas on the oil dipstick? If yes The fuel pump could be leaking into the oil, or the needle is not seating correctly in the carb.

Do a fuel pump test with a gauge should be between 4-6 psi for fuel pump.

That may be why the plugs look brand new and steamed cleaned.

And the oil would not look milky. And the transom would look like it does.

Now to the overheating problem, impeller needs changing, classic overheat problem points to impeller.

The trim switch aint supposed to be smoking, Maybe it's shorting out take off the throttle and see if the wires are shorting out or the switch is bad.

Do you know the last time the risers were looked at?

Or do you know if you have flappers in the exhaust tube?

If you do pull the risers look in the tubes if there is a bolt going thru the tube and no flapper it's clogging your exhaust cause it broke off and went down the tube.

You have any heat exchanger on the boat ie: power steering?

If yes than the exchanger could be clogged up common problem needs cleaning out.

Post you findings will go from there.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice! I am having the impeller changed out, the drive greased up while it's off, and am setting the timing, dwell, and advance all to stock.......

Then I get to go to the lake and find out what the smoking is about. Anymore advice before I take the boat in to the shop?

Anything would be appreciated!

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah, one more thing,

This boat weighs 3650 pounds, and with approx 50 gal of fuel (approx 400 pounds) I am looking at 4100 pounds, and with my family on board, (approx 500 pounds total, looking at 4600 pounds total)

Will I with the motor running correctly, be able to pull waterskiers??

What pitch prop and diameter should I run to be able to do this and still run 4200 to 4600 rpm?

Thanks again

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Oh yeah, one more thing,

This boat weighs 3650 pounds, and with approx 50 gal of fuel (approx 400 pounds) I am looking at 4100 pounds, and with my family on board, (approx 500 pounds total, looking at 4600 pounds total)

Will I with the motor running correctly, be able to pull waterskiers??

What pitch prop and diameter should I run to be able to do this and still run 4200 to 4600 rpm?

Thanks again
About 14x21, but see what your present prop does....
You should be able to pull a skier no problem........;)

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, based on all of your advice, I had the boat dealer set the timing, dwell, and advance back to stock, and had them change out the impeller, and fill the drive with oil.......Noticed a few things though.

The boat dealer said the motor runs far better now than when I brought it in.

1) I noticed that the trim unit was leaking, and I found it leaking out of something on top by the steering assembly up on top of the motor.....the hose goes in to this unit, then out down towards the drive. What is that unit, and what does it do?

2) I noticed that the coil looks original, and the wire that comes out of it and goes to the distributor is very loose feeling. Should I just buy new wires, and coil, and plugs? If so where can I get the wires 350 chevy / mercruiser 260.

3) I noticed by pushing the throttle forward all the way, and looking in to the carb, that the butterflies dont open all the way perpendicular to the carb opening. Is this correct, or do I need to adjust the cable?

4) The exhaust manifold where the drain plug was, was plugged with some sort of plastic fitting. To get the water out, I had to push it in to the manifold. I am assuming the previous owner did this because they stripped the old one with the brass plug that the other side has. Can I just drill and tap it for a bigger plug similar to the one found on the block?

5) I notice the old impeller that they took out was very bent with the blades, as opposed to the new one that they put in. What was wrong with that old one....???

6) I currently have the boat full of gas, block and manifolds empty, I don't really want to winterize as I would like to go fishing and boating. How hard is it to really winterize the boat? Should I go run all the gas (50 gals) out of it, then have it winterized? I am in Reno Nevada, and we get cold here, but not all the time....What is your advice???

7) I am thinking about putting a blower on the boat in the spring time. The horsepower at sea level is 260, up here probably what, 210? How much horsepower can the outdrive handle? I don't want to add horsepower and start blowing drives, but I want to haul ***!

Thanks for all the help!

Alumarine

Captain

re. question 5 you'd be bent too if you spun all the time

new impeller looks straight until it's been used