92 4.3 merc shuts down at will

formor2go

Cadet
Engine shutting down at will. Sometimes will start right back up, but usually will take a while then start and runs for a bit and shuts down again. I read where to replace the coil first and then the module but I was wondering if a short in the tilt and guage sending unit wiring could cause this or is this a seperate electrical system. I also spliced the new units in. Thanks Alpha 1 gen 2 thunderbolt 4 ign

chiefalen

Captain
Re: 92 4.3 merc shuts down at will

Could be something as simple as a bad ground.

Follow the neg cable to the ground and clean it real good.

Also the cables on the battery good and tight, clean?

All the connections tight and clean and good.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Had the same problem with my old V6... Turned out to be water getting on the shift interrupter switch... The only other ignition problem I ever had was the coil. The water dripped onto it and caused a corrosion hole in the bottom, which allowed the oil to leak out and the coil overheated.

It definitely won't be the trim wires... Completely separate system...

Chris........

98LSWON

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like the ignition control module is getting hot and quitting, then works after it cools down. I just went through a similar situation. It wouls suck to replace the $300 part if it isn't the cause. Take it off and see if the heat transfer compound on the back of it is dried and crusty, if it is, i'd bet that's your problem.
Take what i say w/ a grain of salt, I'm new here. I've worked on cars all my life, I've found there is a steep learning curvre when dealing w/ boats.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A lot of "Could be" replies and soon to come replies that require you to replace a lot of expensive parts to find out the problem.
A cheaper way would be to do some troubleshooting. To START with, you have to check immediatly when it won't start. Are you lacking fuel or spark?

Bondo

Staff member

A cheaper way would be to do some troubleshooting.
To START with, you have to check immediatly when it won't start. Are you lacking fuel or spark?

Ayuh,.....

And then you have to figure out What happened to the Fuel,...
Or,...
Where'd the Power stop,....

chiefalen

Captain

When you mean shut down it just stops running?

And when you try to start it, do you mean the engine cranks but doesn't start?

Alot of things you can do that won't cost a dime, but will take time.

When it happens do you pull a spark plug and ground it to the block to see if you have spark?

If spark is present is it a good spark.

Gas going to the carb? Take off the arrester and see if gas shoots when you advance the throttle.

Now to what you can do, Have a tester on the boat like the one in the thread i will post.

But you can clean the filters, There is one in the fitting that goes into the carb, one maybe in the fuel pump, one in the fuel pickup tube in the gas tank, And the water seperator. Take it off the filter and dump in a clean clear,container.

Let it sit and see if theres alot of gunk and water in the gas.

And clean all the connections with the battery cables off. Neg first than pos.

This way when it happens again hopefully not, you will know it's not the cable for example.

Heres the post from the master Don S:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

Another way would be to run the boat on a external tank of gas to rule out any possible gas related problem. After you cleaned all the filters.

Another point the carb cleaned last when?

You see it might not be that when it cools down that lets you start and run, but the filter gets clogged and restricts the fuel than shuts down the motor.

You wait the sediment comes off the filter and it starts and does it over again.

formor2go

Cadet

Just for an update, Didn't get to work on it yesterday went bluegill fishing to ease my pain. 13 lbs. Yum yum, any way when it shuts down I checked for spark with the ole screwdriver trick and it wasn't getting any,and it was getting gas so I think I'll turn toward electrical. when it shuts down it will crank ok. Last time in the water it only stayed running for 1 min. and it died. Just shuts down. Thanks for all the info. I'll get on it in the morning. Is one minute enough time for the module to heat up and shut down? I'll start with ground,connections, new coil ,then module, will let you know Thanx again. Bob

Just for fun

Cadet

If you have an oil pressure sensor feeding voltage to your pump, jump the wires to bypass the sensor (below your rear port side spark plug, if you see two sensors, one is for the gauge, the one with two wires is for the fuel pump feed) to see if it fixes it. I just had the oil pressure sensor go bad after being intermittent. Thanks to this forum, I systematically checked everything and located the problem. My symptoms were it would run for a short time and quit. Cranking the starter bypasses the sensor so some fuel would be pumped into the carb and it would start up again. Filters were changed first, but they were found to be clean. Pump was tested, held 7 psi pressure after the fix. All this is only if you suspect fuel starvation. Bypassing the sensor is extremely easy, but should not be used as a permanent fix. The sensor is there for safety reasons, you don't want your fuel pump to continue to pump with the engine not running. Check one thing at a time, you'll find it.

achris

If you have an oil pressure sensor feeding voltage to your pump, jump the wires to bypass the sensor (below your rear port side spark plug, if you see two sensors, one is for the gauge, the one with two wires is for the fuel pump feed) to see if it fixes it. I just had the oil pressure sensor go bad after being intermittent. Thanks to this forum, I systematically checked everything and located the problem. My symptoms were it would run for a short time and quit. Cranking the starter bypasses the sensor so some fuel would be pumped into the carb and it would start up again. Filters were changed first, but they were found to be clean. Pump was tested, held 7 psi pressure after the fix. All this is only if you suspect fuel starvation. Bypassing the sensor is extremely easy, but should not be used as a permanent fix. The sensor is there for safety reasons, you don't want your fuel pump to continue to pump with the engine not running. Check one thing at a time, you'll find it.

It's not a fuel problem, it's a spark problem. There is no link between the oil pressure switch and the ignition system.

Chris.............

formor2go

Cadet

I forgot to mention it's a mechanical fuel pump and the ign control module is located on the exhaust riser.(older style).Checked all connections and they were all good. Pulled the distributer sensor and it looks a little rusty but no cracks in the jumper leads. Wanted to know if anyone knows the ohm rating for this sensor. Called to get a price on it and he said he had just sold one to a guy that was having the same problem and he hasen't been back so can this sensor shut down and then come back on or is it either completely dead or alive one time only? Also control module is over $300 so if thats the case I'll go with a new delphi ign system for about $400. Sensor is about $50 so what's my chances? 50-50?

achris

FYI. I have seen one of those sensors do exactly the same thing on a 260 V8. It just looked a little rusty, but when we replaced it the problem went away... :D:D:D

Sensor part# 87-892150Q02. (Same number as the V8)

Chris........

Just for fun

Cadet

Sorry Chris, I guess I wasn't paying attention and missed the post about it definately being a spark problem. Never mind.. :)

formor2go

Cadet

Update: I replaced the coil and the distributor senser and started it up with the ear muffs and let it run for 30 min. at different rpm's. The volt and the tach guage didn't have near the vibration or fluctuation that they had before.That's a good sign. Ran very well but I can't get it on the water untill Tue. We have gale force winds on Erie today. Will update Tue night. Wish me luck, I want to get this done before I winterize. Thanx again. Bob

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Update: I replaced the coil and the distributor senser and started it up with the ear muffs and let it run for 30 min. at different rpm's. The volt and the tach guage didn't have near the vibration or fluctuation that they had before.That's a good sign. Ran very well but I can't get it on the water untill Tue. We have gale force winds on Erie today. Will update Tue night. Wish me luck, I want to get this done before I winterize. Thanx again. Bob

Good luck Bob. You probably have it fixed. My 96 4.3L had a very similiar problem and when it acted up, the tach would bounce all around. The problem was a distributer sensor.

formor2go

Cadet

Finally had some decent weather for a test run. Replaced the coil and the distributor module inside the distributor and ran it for about 45 min. and all went well so I'm going fishing tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. 1 last question. My amp guage will show 14 volts and every so often, it will just jump to 12 volts and stay there for about 15-20 sec then jump back to 14 volts. Is there a regulator that is causing this? Just want to know if this is normal. Sometimes I think I worry to much about stuff. Thanks to all who helped out and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Bob

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Finally had some decent weather for a test run. Replaced the coil and the distributor module inside the distributor and ran it for about 45 min. and all went well so I'm going fishing tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. 1 last question. My amp guage will show 14 volts and every so often, it will just jump to 12 volts and stay there for about 15-20 sec then jump back to 14 volts. Is there a regulator that is causing this? Just want to know if this is normal. Sometimes I think I worry to much about stuff. Thanks to all who helped out and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Bob

Don't pay attention to the gauge for an accurate reading. Put a DVOM across the battery to see what the alternator is actually charging.

formor2go

Cadet

Well all, Went ishing today ( ishing is when you go fishing and don't catch anything) Waves were 3ft so didn't go far, just wanted the final test run and lord have mercy I didn't have a problem. Weather is favorable for the next 4 days so I'll be out there either ishing of fishing, dosen't matter as long as you're out there. Thanks to 642mt,achris, and all that contributed, it was a learing experience at the least. Hope to be able to repay sometime. Hopefully we can put this thread to bed. If you don't hear from me in the next 4 days---All is well. I love good people!! Thanks again---Bob

Just for fun

Cadet

I enjoy reading posts thet turn out positive. Isn't this place great!!! Thanks to those sharing your expertise with us. I've learned a lot about things that haven't even gone wrong yet, but I feel like I'm better equipped mentally to deal with them. Bob, (and others) you're a hero to many of us. Thank you.