Shifting Issues: Merc 5.7 A1

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
A couple days ago I backed into a piling (did not hit drive) because the reverse is tricky to get into. When I got in to reverse, It's sticky, stucky, not smooth, what ever you want to call it, the engine reved up enough where it got me off guard and busted up my rubrail (fixed now).

Anyhow, I tried to adjust the cables today and it seems a bit confusing or maybe it was the wrong section I was reading. It didn't seem to do anything.

While I was doing the "adjustment", I noticed that the interupt switch never moved. I was able to push the bracket up or down but it doesn't move witht he shift lever. This was done while the engine was off. The roller stays in the center notch and never moves while shifting.

As soon as I get past the shift point everything is smooth. I reach WOT smoothly etc. It's just geting in and out of gear, mainly reverse.

Thanks!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shifting Issues: Merc 5.7 A1

While I was doing the "adjustment", I noticed that the interupt switch never moved.

If the boat is not in the water and running on muffs, the swich should NEVER move. Plus, it should only come into use when coming out of gear IN THE WATER, not going into gear at anytime.

Now, with that information, what is your question?

lmannyr

Why is my shift lever sticky or difficult to move right at the shift point going into gear? Or is it because the shift cables need adjusting?

If the boat is not in the water and running on muffs, the swich should NEVER move. Plus, it should only come into use when coming out of gear IN THE WATER, not going into gear at anytime.

Just learned something. Thats why I love this forum, always learning something!!

THANKS!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why is my shift lever sticky or difficult to move right at the shift point going into gear?

Hard to say for sure, could be a corroded shifter, worn out, faulty cables, who knows, it's had almost 20 years of use. Cables that old can always be a problem, may also be a tension adjustment on whatever control you have.

Just learned something. Thats why I love this forum, always learning something!!
Yea, I know. I learn new things to. Ain't it neat? :D

lmannyr

Cables that old can always be a problem, may also be a tension adjustment on whatever control you have.

So i take it I should replace the cables anyways. I need the 600A Series? How do I measure the length?

Thanks again!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

It's My Guess that you only need a New Lower Shift Cable.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Part number -865436A02.

lmannyr

Thanks everyone!! GREAT help!!