29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davinciman

Seaman
Re: 29' Carter Safari

Nice work!
Almost at your stage... wood drying.
Just moved it home today, lost building yard.
Kinda sketchy with transom and stingers removed:eek:
Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to completion- yours and mine!

Cheers

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

i am pretty sure you said that you are using poly resin but in the pics i see you applying it without a respirator on.. thats a big NO NO... please invest in a good respirator!!!

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, we had the resporator there, but we had a fair bit of airflow through the area, and it never got very bad. Been using the resp while grinding though.

got more hardener this week, this weekend we are going to finish off connecting the engine mounts back to the transom, then we will do a final layup of 1708. Then we will start preping for bilge paint.

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there good job my respect to you and your partner!!! hey 1 question what type of fiberglass cloth are you using on the transon and in the others repairs thanks.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

we used Csm mat between layers and on the first tab, then we used 1708 biax for the rest of the tabbing and full layups

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, we bedded the rest of the engine mounts in. Used PL. Once it cures we are going to sister a new sheet of 3/4 to the side of the entire mount to reinforce it all.
P1090711.JPG

P1090712.JPG

P1090713.JPG

Last edited:

navis

Seaman

Thanks again for your support, it is very appreciated! We were hoping to get more done, but the pl 400 takes a long time to dry, we are used to just waiting the couple hours for resin :p We also thought it would be best to give the pl lots of time to dry because apparently it off-gasses, which will harm the resin.

zach103

Commander

Its looking better and better everytime. youll be on the water soon

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are doing a outstanding job, I'm proud of you !

Did I read that these boats have a fiberglass fuel tank ?

I hope not.

If so DO NOT put any ethanol blended fuel in it. Ethanol fuels will eat through fiberglass.

bear_69cuda

Commander

First time on this thread.

Cool boat!

Loved the engine video's

You dudes are gonna super Pro's after this project!

Keep up the great work!

Peace out!

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well guys you have me inspired to work on my boat again. I got the port engine exhaust manifold and installed them last weekend. the port engine had always given me heating problems. A quick look in the end of the heat exchanger revealed the problem many pieces of old raw water pump impellar. I cleaned them out should clear up the heating problem. I found a couple of pictures of my safari the way I found her. your work looks great, can't wait to see her come back together. yak at ya latter

Attachments

• before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • before 2.jpg
    before 2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi guys just wondering how the project is going!!!

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

hey guys, sorry about the lack of updates.. the last month my weekends have been shot so the boat has kinda sat on hold. next weekend we are hoping to push forward some more on the boat. Not sure if we will meet our July goal anymore...

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

yes, it does have a fibreglass fuel tank, the original builder just sealed up a storage compartment declaring it a fuel tank, We are aware of the ethenol issue, may upgrade to an aluminium tank in the future...

In other news, we got back to the good old boat today, felt good to work on it again! glassed in the engine mounts with some 1708. Took awhile to get all the supplies back to the boat after they had slowly migrated to the shop over the down time...

back on track now and should have updates every saturday from now on...

here is what took us off track, a second project/repower underway. On a different scale
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74889

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Well, we sistered the braces to the engine mounts with some pl400 today. We are planning to do the final layup of the transom and the mounts on saturday.

P1090900.JPG

P1090902.JPG

also all pictures are fixed in this thread.

Last edited:

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been very impressed with your expertise and agility in this project. A sister, however, as in sistering frames is of the same dimension as the lumber being sistered. I noticed it right away. I would appreciate it if you and your crew would step back a few minutes and reconsider the gravity of this procedure. You are supporting tremendous torque and weight if this is a point of mounting the engines (twins). Possibly this is only the first layer of the sistered frame but I recall further back something about a 3/4 inch sister.
If you have the room, equal the thickness of the frame being sistered. This is a complete no no what you are doing because of the engine mounting at the sister with a butt joint.

I am not trying to critisize or demean any of your efforts but this would have bothered me later if I had not warned you about it. And in the past I have completely enjoyed and looked forward to you and your crew's latest progress.

The entire stringer should be replaced because of the engine mount at the sister.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

the engine mounts are still strong. this isnt to replace the engine mounts strength, its mostly just to help the joint between the new section of stringer at the transom, and we thought it wouldnt hurt to have a little extra support in there. We had the wood and the glass, why not right?

thanks for the concern, it would have been pretty bad i guess if we were trying to replace the engine mounts strength with those pieces. I guess i wasnt very clear.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

TRANSOM IS DONE!!!! WOOOOO did the final layup today! 6 gallons of resin later.

now i get to pull out the sander and prep for bilge paint :(

after the paint things will really start to move. :D

P1100003.JPG

P1100008.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.