96 suzuki dt25c bad sensor or not?

my red light is on and when i unplug the plug below the bottom cylinder the light goes off but doesnt go off when i unplug other plugs,could this be my loss of power problem, question 2 if i unplug the pulsar coil wires should the motor shut off?

greenhead1984

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 96 suzuki dt25c bad sensor or not?

that's definately your problem, that's the overheat sensor. If it's been running rough earlier, that is the rev limiter cutting on, cutting you down to two cylinders. Something is stuck in the water port system, the impeller is bad, or the sensor is bad(unlikely). It's been the downfall of many a suzuki 25 and 30's. Is it getting hot? ?? Can you touch the water coming out of the pisser or the exhaust port?

well i just changed the impeller a few months ago, it pisses very well, the water is hot but not unbearable im me i can hold it there for a minute or so... the light is on the instant i turn the key over...

the reason i changed the impeller was because it wasnt pissing do to the fact that the impeller crumbled to pieces and was clogging up the pisser... is there any way i can test that sensor by using a jumper wire to complete the circuit or something?

greenhead1984

Seaman Apprentice

If it crumbled to pieces then a few of those pieces probably got sucked up into the powerhead.... You can check the sensor with a meter, but I i'd be catious with those crumbled impeller pieces... that's how I burned up a 25

how exactly do i check the power head just by taking the foot off, is the water intended to come in contact with the sensor? in order to determine whether or not the water is is getting to the senor can i hook up the muffs and see if the water even making it that far?

thanks for the info.... well i just took out the sensor and answered one of my questions above... the sensor checked out ok it just wasnt in all the way it was about a 1/4 inch out... i unplugged one of the wires that goes to the sensor just above that one and the red light goes off, what does that sensor indicate?

greenhead1984

Seaman Apprentice

In order to seat that lower sensor properly you have to put the flat end of a zip tie in there while pushing the sensor in to let all the air that sits between the sensor and the clock escape. The sensor that is on the cylinder head water jacket cover is the water flow sensor it just senses whether or not water is flowing through the water jacket. regardless of which sensor it is, you have underlying issues that need to be resolved with the cooling system.