Circuit breaker or Fuse block

Pods

Seaman Apprentice
On my boat I noticed that I have a resetable circuit breaker rated at 20 amps. Everything goes thru this except the outboard. What is the difference between this versus the fuse block with individual fuses? What is ya'll's experience with this setup? Comments are appreciated.

Pods

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Circuit breaker or Fuse block

Not a good set up in my opinion.

Different loads (accessories) require different ratings of protection. You wouldn't want the fishfinder for example to be fused the same as a 12v accessory socket.

The other drawback with a single protection device is that if it goes, all of your electrics go dead.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Circuit breakers are a good idea in regards to personal safety for some systems, trolling motor, downriggers, winches. But 20 amps may not be enough. Sensitive electronics should draw power from a fuse block or inline fuse and should be rated for the intended equipment.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A 20 or 30A breaker located at the battery would protect the main feed going to the fuse block. From the fuse block, each circuit is protected by a fuse size specific to that load. Therefore if a short occurred between the battery and the fuse block, the circuit breaker would open. If a short occurred in any one of the individual circuits, only the fuse for that circuit would blow. This system is just like the one in your house.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with Silvertip. a couple of years ago i was rewiring a boat. had not installed the breaker yet, just tied the pos and neg to battery to test things, well when i disconnected something, the wires met, i started smelling smoke, turn around and i had melted the main harness. time to start over.

http://www.iboats.com/Resettable_Ci...24238767--**********.598536764--view_id.39690