flywheel puller

kwulff

Recruit
Does anyone know where I can get a flywheel puller for older Johnson Motors? I'm using a homemade one and actually have a 3' long breaker bar on the center bolt of the puller and still the flywheel won't move Any sugestions?

Last edited:

iwombat

Captain
Re: flywheel puller

Go to any decent auto parts store and get yourself a "harmonic balancer puller".

Depending on what you're working on, you may need some 1/4-20 grade 8 fasteners to thread into the flywheel. They won't come with the puller.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

like this,

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You also buy one directly from OMC/BRP. It comes with a variety of correctly sized bolts for pulling flywheels on various OMC motors, and has the required bolts for pulling one piece gearcases apart.

This package is a bit pricey compared to just buying a harmonic type puller at your local auto parts store, but it does save you a lot of hassle in making sure that you have correctly sized, grade 8 bolts for whatever you are trying to pull apart. I think I paid about $65 for mine about 7 or 8 years ago.

tashasdaddy

i would loose the bolts, or scavage them for another project.

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have always built my own pullers and they have always worked well for me. try giving the flywheel a couple of sharp blows with a rubber mallet while using your homemade puller.

DutchMerc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried to take the flywheel of my 402 Mercury, and it gave me some trouble. I made a puller, put some pressure on the flywheel but no succes. I only got it of after i heated the flywheel (gently) with a toarch, leaving the tension on. Came off with a big bang... No damage on the stator and bearings. I put it back after greasing up the shaft. Good luck...:cool:

BillP

Captain

For the money you can't beat a harmonic balancer for flywheels. Approx $10 at harbor freight and buy a couple extra bolts to fit the flywheel if it doesn't already have them.

tashasdaddy

DO NOT hit the fly wheel with a hammer. you hit the center bolt of the puller. DO NOT pull the fly wheel by the outer edges.